LAKEHEAD UNIVERSITY PSYCHOLOGY DEPARTMENT (Thunder Bay campus)
CONTRACT LECTURER POSITION Fall 2021
The Psychology Department invites applications from qualified applicants for a Clinical Supervisor to teach Psych 5091, MA Practicum. This is a new opportunity in support of a Psychology Training Clinic Pilot being conducted by the Clinical Psychology Programs. This is a 0.75 FCE contract (10 hours/week for 16 weeks) for the Fall 2021 term.
The Clinical Supervisor will provide practicum training to junior clinical psychology students in a pilot Psychology Training Clinic. The Clinical Supervisor will be supported by a Clinic Director who will assist in identifying and screening clinic clients and provide general infrastructure support.
Experience with experiential learning and online or alternative modes of delivery is highly desired. Experience with differentiated instruction is highly desired.
The course description is below:
- The overall purpose of this placement is to provide trainees with skills and practice in developing therapeutic relationships, basic intervention skills practice, and appropriate clinical documentation. The type of clinical training will depend on the Clinical Supervisor’s practice area(s) and competencies, as well as the service needs identified by our community stakeholders.
- The Clinical Supervisor will provide clinical supervision to 5 students (the placement will first be offered to entry-level students in our MA Year 2 cohort, and remaining spots filled by upper-year students).
- There may be an opportunity for 1-2 senior (doctoral) students to gain experience with supervision (“supervision of supervision”); dependent on the clinical service and Clinical Supervisor’s skill set.
- In addition to providing formally scheduled clinical supervision, the clinical supervisor will review trainee documentation and reports, as relevant to the clinical service provided.
- We anticipate that this practicum opportunity will provide 25% of MA students’ practicum hours required for their degree (i.e., a 100-hour placement). It will also better-prepare students for external practicum placements.
- The Clinical Supervisor will have access to Owl Practice Management Software through our Psychology Training Clinic, which supports scheduling of client appointments, clinical documentation, video sessions, and has many clinical supervision functions (e.g., documentation review; video review).
Applicants must be registered with the College of Psychologists of Ontario; preference will be for applicants with a doctorate in clinical psychology from a CPA- or APA-accredited program. Our preference is for someone with adult clinical experience who has received training on and/or has experience in supervising the clinical work of clinical psychology students. The successful candidate should show clear promise of excellence in clinical supervision and must have well-developed written and verbal communication skills. The candidate may conduct the work virtually through Zoom.
Lakehead is a comprehensive university with a reputation for innovative programs and cutting-edge research. With campuses located in Thunder Bay and Orillia, Lakehead has approximately 10,000 students and 2,160 faculty and staff. With an emphasis on collaborative learning and independent critical thinking and a multidisciplinary teaching approach, Lakehead offers a variety of degree and diploma programs at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels through its ten faculties, including Business Administration, Education, Engineering, Health and Behavioural Sciences, Natural Resources Management, Science and Environmental Studies, Social Sciences and Humanities, Graduate Studies, the Northern Ontario School of Medicine (West Campus) and Ontario’s newest Faculty of Law. For further information, please visit: www.lakeheadu.ca.
Applications are being accepted now and will continue until the position is filled. The electronic application (in the form of one PDF document) should include: a curriculum vitae, statement of interest, evidence of experience providing clinical supervision, and the names of 3 references. A completed Confirmation of Eligibility to Work in Canada form must accompany your package. This form is available on our website at https://www.lakeheadu.ca/faculty-and-staff/departments/services/hr/employment-opportunites. We encourage applicants with the Right of First Refusal (as outlined in article 19.03.02 of the LUFA/LU Collective Agreement) to indicate their status in their application.
Applications should be sent to:
Sadie Stout, Administrative Assistant
Department of Psychology, Lakehead University
955 Oliver Road, Thunder Bay, ON P7B 5E1
Lakehead University is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals including women, racialized persons, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and other equity-seeking groups. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. This is in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements.
We appreciate your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be notified. Lakehead University is committed to supporting an accessible environment. Applicants requiring accommodation during the interview process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (807) 343.8334 or firstname.lastname@example.org to make appropriate arrangements.
This position is subject to budgetary approval.