The LUIL is located in the CASES building, FB 1017. It has ample power, water, ventilation, and climate control for protection and optimal operation of sensitive instrumentation.
The NMR Laboratory is located in the basement of the Centennial Building, CB0012C.
In Northwestern Ontario,the LUIL is a unique research facility, providing common access to fundamental research techniques such as scanning electron microscopy, fluorescence and laser microscopy, nuclear magnetic, mass and infrared spectroscopy, elemental analysis, and x-ray diffraction.
- NMR: Varian Unity Inova 500
- XRD: Pananalytical Xpert Pro Diffractometer
- FTIR: Bruker Tensor 37 with Hyperion 2000 IR Microscope
- SPECS: Cary5e UV-VIS-NIR, Cary 50
- GC-MS: Varian 450GC - 300 MS/MS
- IC: Dionex ICS-1100
- HPLC: Waters Alliance
- LC-MS: Dionex U3000/Bruker amaZon X
- SEM/EDS: Hitachi Su-70 Schottky Field Emission SEM
- CONFOCAL MICROSCOPE: Olympus FV300
- PHOTO MICROSCOPES: Leica MS5, Zeiss Ultraphot, Inverted Microscope: Olympus IX51 (DIC,FL, Phase)
Particle Size Characterization
- CAD Zeta Phoremeter
- EPA5002 Mastersizer 2000 partize size analyzer with Hydro 2000MU
- FREEZE DRYER: Labconco Freezone 12
- DATA SERVER: Dell 1500
Some of the instruments in LUIL are located in a Biosafety Area, FB 1017J. Users are expected to have protocols approved by the Lakehead University Biosafety Committee. The protocols are then approved by LUIL staff and users receive training before given access to the section.