Program Options

There are many programs offered at Lakehead University and sometimes what you initially are admitted into is not what you graduate from. Please find below additional information for those who are looking at changing or adding to their academic program. 

Program Change

Thinking about changing from one program to another? You're not alone! 

In fact, most university students decide to change programs at least once after considering their interests, passions, and future aims.  If you are trying to decide what program is for you or whether or not you should change your focus of study, we're here to help.  You may wish to speak to a Student Central Professional about your options, program requirements, and next steps.

To help you make your decision, we have also provided the following important resources:

If you have already decided to change your program, select your current level of study:

Declare a Major (HBCOMM and Undecided ONLY)

If you are a student in the Honours Bachelor of Commerce program, you must declare your Business major by the start of third year. To declare your Business major, you need to connect with the Faculty of Business. Once you select a major and have met with your Program Advisor, Enrolment Services will be notified about the change and will make the change to your student record. You will be notified via your Lakehead University email once the change has been completed.

If you are a student in an Honours or Bachelor degree program with an Undecided major, you must declare your subject major by the end of year one. To declare your major, you must meet with an Enrolment Services Academic Advisor who will assist you in the program change process. If you are unsure about selecting a major, come in and meet with an advisor who can provide you with some suggestions on how to choose.

Declare a Minor

If you are interested in a minor, students are strongly encouraged to declare a minor by the end of their second year. All minors and changes to minors must be declared by the end of September registration in year four. 

What is a minor?  

A minor allows you to compliment your degree by taking courses in a subject area outside of your major. If you declare, complete the requirements for, and are awarded a minor, you will receive recognition of the minor on your official transcript.  

A minor is a defined collection of courses, different from the major, which can be taken within an Honours or Bachelors (4 year) program. A minor consists of a minimum of three (3) full course equivalents, different from, and in addition to, the courses in the major. A minimum average of 60% is required for the minor, but may be higher in some cases. A minimum of 1 full course equivalent must be at the 3rd year level or higher.

Courses that are cross calendared can only be counted towards one of the respective majors or one minor.

Only courses not counted towards the major can be counted towards a minor.

All courses contributing to a minor must be taken at Lakehead University.

Only minors identified in the Academic Calendar can be awarded.

A student is only permitted one minor. In exceptional circumstances, a maximum of two minors may be permitted and requires permission of the Chair and Dean. A minor cannot be awarded after graduation.  Available minors are identified in the Academic Calendar and you can find the requirements for all minors in the Academic Calendar in the Programs & Faculties area by searching the Undergraduate Programs sections. 

Declare a Discipline

For students in the Honours Bachelor of Arts and Sciences degree and students in the Bachelor of Arts and Sciences degree, you must declare your discipline(s) online through the myInfo-Student portal.

Declaring your discipline(s) aids our Academic Advisors in determining if you are on track with your program requirements.

Normally an Honours degree student would declare two disciplines and a Bachelor degree student would select one discipline. If you change your mind about your discipline(s) make sure you update them online. You may only select from the discipline subjects listed in the Academic Calendar.

Declare a Teachable

Students in a Bachelor of Education program (concurrent or consecutive) must declare their teachable(s) online through myInfo. You may select from the approved list of teachable subjects only.

Declaring your teachable subject(s) helps our Academic Advisors when checking to make sure you have completed the teachable component of your Bachelor of Education program.

Normally, a student in the Intermediate/Senior division would select two teachable subjects and a student in the Junior/Intermediate division would select one teachable subject.  Students in the Primary/Junior division are not required to declare a teachable subject.  

If your teachable subject(s) change, you just need to update your "Declare Teachable" online through myInfo.


Our certificate programs allow you to enhance your knowledge and expertise in an area of interest to you that is outside of your major.A certificate is defined as an approved course of study which will have a professional or an applied focus and will provide learning outcomes that are distinct from any other program.

A certificate course of study will consist of a minimum of two FCE (full course equivalents), and normally a maximum of three FCEs, or the equivalent in non-credit programming, offered by one or several academic units. These courses must be different from, and in addition to, the required courses in the student's major; only courses outside the major can be counted towards a certificate. Students must be registered in the certificate prior to the completion of 50% of the course requirements for the course of study.

Certificates will be given as evidence of satisfactory completion of a series of credit-bearing courses and/or non-credit workshops or seminars.

For certificates consisting of credit courses, a minimum overall average of 60% is required. All courses for the certificate must be taken from Lakehead University. A maximum of 0.5 credits may be applied to more than one certificate.  

You can find more information about Certificates clicking here.