Socializing during the pandemic is complicated- everyone has their own comfort levels with what they are willing to do. It can be difficult if you are not on the same page as friends and family (more so if you live together). The more you can communicate what you expect and what you are comfortable with, the more you will actually get what you want.
When discussing comfort levels with friends and housemates, it can be hard to know what to ask. Below are some questions you can bring up during those conversations.
- How are you feeling today?
- Is it okay if my friend comes over?
- How many people are you comfortable having over?
- What should our cleaning routine look like?
- What is your class schedule?
Going to a Friend's House
- Should I bring a mask?
- How many people will be there?
- Should I bring my own food/drinks?
- Will we be sitting outside or inside?
- Who do you live with?
When you invite someone over
- Do you mind if we stay outside?
- Can you bring your own _______ (food, drinks, mask)?
- _________ is going to be here too. Are you comfortable being around other people and wearing a mask?
- Please wash your hands once you come in.
Ultimately you cannot control others’ behaviour and you might not be able to agree, you can respect each other's boundaries and be creative with how you can socialize.