Date: February 21, 2019
Place: Avila- Physical Plant meeting room
Time: 9:10 a.m.
Present: Ursula MacDonald, Mike Davis, Steve Girvin, Brian Cox, Heather Spivak
Regrets: Hugh Briggs, Rob McCluskey, Stan Nemec, Fred Plank, Darren Carlin
- A. Steve reported that the floor in the Power house is breaking. There are no vehicles allowed inside. The area is cornered off with signs advising of the danger, until such time as a decision is made how the floor will be fixed. Jan.21, 2016 Steve advised that this project will be put on a list of capital projects for the 2016-2017 fiscal year.
Nov. 15/18 – Steve advised that jack posts will be installed under the floor to provide the necessary support.
B. Confined space – Signage of confined space is still required and pedestrian floor hatches need to be secured.
Feb.21, 2019 – Steve will follow up on this
C. The electrician raised a concern about smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in residence. Many times when the electricians arrive to install/fix them they have already been disconnected. Brian will look into the situation and reinforce the seriousness of the matter. Students who are dismantling/damaging lifesaving device are fined by the University. A suggestion was made to have stickers by the devices advising that no one should be tampering with the life saving device.
Jan.24, 2019 – Brian advised that the labelling will begin in May of this year.
D. Fred plank raised a concern regarding a mechanical room in the Fieldhouse. At one of the two access doors there is no light switch and only a short distance later there is a set of stairs that are not visible without light. There is a high risk of someone falling down those stairs. Steve Girvin and the mechanical team will address this safety concern immediately.
Feb.21, 2019 – Steve will issue a work order to remove the outside entrance knob and put a chain at the end of the platform.
- 1. Ursula reminded all managers and supervisors to ensure that their staff have current WHMIS 2015 training completed.
- 2. The provincial government is talking about the availability of JHSC certification training as an online program. Ursula will provide more details as they become available.
- 3. Steve updated the Committee about campus projects;
Bora Laskin – expected completion in a few weeks
Kitchen –nearing the end, should be completed in a month or so
Aboriginal Initiatives – should be completed within a month
An employee in the Conference Services department slipped and fell in the vestibule of Bartley Residence. It appears that there was some ice on the floor between the door and the mat. The employee hurt shoulder and had been off work for two days. Residence has now purchased a new, larger mat which will cover the area directly in front of the door.
- Braun Building – Rob and Steve
- Centennial Building – Stan and Darren
- Tungsten Street – Ursula & Heather
NEXT MEETING: Thursday, March 21, 2018 in Avila – Physical Plant meeting room at 9:52 a.m.