Retail and Physical Support Service - January 25, 2018

Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 9:00am

Health and Safety Committee Meeting

Retail and Physical Support Service

Lakehead University

955 Oliver Road


Date:  January 25, 2018

Place: Avila- Physical Plant meeting room

Time: 9:09 a.m.


Present:  Steve Girvin, Ursula MacDonald, Fred Plank, Mike Davis, Brian Cox

 Regrets:  Darren Carlin, Brenda Rojik, Hugh Briggs, Rob McCluskey


OLD Business:

  1. A.   Steve reported that the floor in the Power house is breaking.  There are no vehicles allowed inside. The area is cornered off with signs advising of the danger, until such time as a decision is made how the floor will be fixed. Jan.21, 2016 Steve advised that this project will be put on a list of capital projects for the 2016-2017 fiscal year.  This item has now been rolled into a co-generation project, if the project goes ahead.

Nov.16/17 - a structural engineer has been retained to complete an assessment a recommend a temporary fix. On going

            B.  Radio communications in PACI continues to be a problem, especially the         basement.

            C.  There is a meeting set up for Thursday, June 29, 2017 with Physical Plant, Security and Health and Safety to discuss and hence develop a procedure for responding to natural gas call outs.  October 19, 2017 – we are waiting for Security to review and finalize the procedure.  Mike Davis will provide an update at the next meeting.


Injury Report;

            An employee fall in the parking lot of Avila.  The employee hurt knees. First aid.


Near Misses:



Inspections Outstanding;

  • Avila – Brian Cox
  • ATAC – Fred and Stan


New Business:

No new business


NEXT MEETING:    Thursday, February 15, 2018 in Avila – Physical Plant meeting room at  9:00 a.m.