Health and Safety Committee Meeting
Retail and Physical Support Service
955 Oliver Road
Date: October 19, 2017
Place: Avila- Physical Plant meeting room
Time: 9:06 a.m.
Present: Steve Girvin, Ursula MacDonald, Brenda Rojik, Brian Cox, Fred Plank, Mike Davis
Regrets: Hugh Briggs, Rob McCluskey, Stan Nemec, Darren Carlin
A. Steve reported that the floor in the Power house is breaking. There are no vehicles allowed inside. The area is cornered off with signs advising of the danger, until such time as a decision is made how the floor will be fixed. Jan.21, 2016 Steve advised that this project will be put on a list of capital projects for the 2016-2017 fiscal year. This item has now been rolled into a co-generation project, if the project goes ahead.
B. TSC has now completed the installation of an antenna extension for UC0035 area for complete two way radio communication coverage. Steve advised that it has made a tremendous difference in the ability for the mechanics who use two way radios. Security has noticed a positive difference as well.
PACI continues to be a problem, especially the basement.
C. The 2017 Annual Asbestos audit has begun. Shanon is working on a list of priorities for removal of asbestos from the 2016 audit. The removal from the 2016 audit has been completed. Shanon is now compiling a priority list from the 2017 list. Any removals from this list will be completed in the 2018/2019 budget year.
D. Darren spoke about a letter of understanding for the IUOE about coming to work when the University is closed. Steve explained that the Mechanical department will have a meeting to discuss
E. There is a meeting set up for Thursday, June 29, 2017 with Physical Plant, Security and Health and Safety to discuss and hence develop a procedure for responding to natural gas call outs. October 19, 2017 – we are waiting for Security to review and finalize the procedure.
- Maintenance employee – Employee pinched a finger folding a ladder. First Aid.
- Security employee – Employee fell a sharp pain in shoulder when opening a door. First Aid.
- Grounds – Employee hurt elbow when a weed whipper got stuck in the weeds. Medical Aid, employee placed on modified duties for a period of time.
- Conference Services –Employee in a car accident while on company business and LU vehicle. Sore back. First Aid only.
- University Centre (Rob & Mike)
- Power House (Steve & Brenda) Friday, Oct.20 at 1:00 p.m.
- CJ Sanders Field house (Brian & Fred) Friday, Nov.03 @10:30 a.m.
- Building Maintenance (Ursula & Rob)
1) A concern was raised by a member in the psychology building about lead water pipes in the building. Physical plant has advised that we have no lead pipes on campus.
2) A discussion was held in regards to inspections and what to look for. One of the issues that was raised as a result of an incident in June, 2017 was the pipe insulation. An employee burnt an elbow on a steam pipe, where the insulation was missing. Special attention should be paid when inspecting mechanical rooms to missing, broken insulation while keeping in mind that the insulation can contain asbestos.
3) The pool was closed recently by the Health Unit due to poor lighting. Temporary solutions have been put in place. All old lights will be coming down and new ones will be installed in the near future. The pool will have to be closed for the changeover.
4) A faculty member whose lab shares a wall with a mechanical room has raised a safety concern in regards to a vibration and the noise when the fan turns on. The employee suffers head aches and has a difficulty concentrating with the noise and the vibration.
Steve will issue a work order to take a look at the situation and find ways to address the problem.
5) Ursula advised that Forum North will be held on November 7&8, 2017. Anyone interested in attending please discuss with your supervisor and let Ursula know.
6) Heidi Forsyth has been hired to replace Tiffany Moore who will be going on a mat leave soon.
Meeting adjourned at 10:20 a.m.
NEXT MEETING: Thursday, November 16, 2017 in Avila – Physical Plant meeting room at