Labs and Studios - November 15, 2017

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 9:00am
AC 147

Labs and Studios Minutes – November 15, 2017   

Present: T. Alderson, E. Searle, H.Forsyth, K. Bhatia, W. Gao, S. Girvin, A. Diochon, C. Surrette, J. Joncas, M. Sorokopud

TIME Commenced:     9:02 AM

1.0   Agenda : Add H.Forsyth to Agenda– Approved

1.1   H.Forsyth introduced to committee members


2.0   Review of Minutes : Accepted


3.0   Inspection Reports:

3.1 Natural Resource Management

3.1.1     Major Issues :     Eyewash checks not recorded weekly   Committee wants to know why eyewash checks need to be weekly   H. Forsyth to look into this     Daisy chained power bars/permanent extension cords

3.2   Mechanical engineering

3.2.1     Major Issues:    Homemade devices    Non-CSA equipment    Tripping hazards: cords/cables    Food and drink in the lab   Ongoing issue – H.Forsyth to send letter to the dean to see that this issue is dealt with   Committee suggests lockers be rented on campus for food and drink storage

4.0   Injury/Incident Reports

4.1 Injury

4.1.1    Chemistry – Some inhalation of thionyl chloride while following protocols     H.Forsyth to look into whether committee recommendation has been sent out


5.0   Old Business:

5.1 Chem Waste Pickup

5.1.1     General pickup to be arranged by end of the year


6.0   New Business:

6.1 Lab Safety Policy

6.1.1     Awaiting comments from HR and Dean of Research

6.2  Emergency Contact List Template

6.2.1     Committee agrees to change “vacation” to “off-campus”

6.3   2017 Outstanding Inspections

6.3.1     10 inspections left

6.3.2     H. Forsyth to send out remaining inspections to committee

6.4   2017 “A” and “B” re-inspections

6.4.1     H. Forsyth to look into how many are left


7.0   Other Business: None


8.0   Adjournment: 10:05 AM


NEXT MEETING: Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 9 a.m. in AC 147