October 13, 2017
Start: 1:34 p.m.
Human Resources Meeting room
Employee Members Management Members
Cindy Haggerty (COPE) Leslie Malcolm, Coordinator
Shanon Arnold (Schedule II) Learning Technologies & Innovation
Dr. Juan Pernia (LUFA)
Sue Viitala (Schedule II)
Ursula MacDonald (Ex-Officio member)
1. Outstanding Business
A) The Annual Asbestos Removal list is complete. This year it is based on the 2015 and 2016 audits. May 17, 2017 update – Shanon is reviewing the tenders and the bids and will be selecting priority projects.
Update Oct.13, 2017 - 2017 Asbestos Removals:
1. Mechanical insulation in Bartley and Prettie.
2. Various mechanical insulation, drywall repairs on ceilings and walls, on main campus.
3. Type 2 cleaning: CB4027
4. Asbestos fireproofing removal & replacement: UC1022/A.
5. Window & caulking replacement: 859 Oliver Road, (aka Pottery House)
6. Textured, asbestos ceiling removal, new fireproofing install, repair drywall on walls: BB1031.
B) The Committee would like to review and update where necessary the Terms of Reference. Ursula will attempt to locate them and bring them to the next meeting.
C) The members of the Committee expressed interest in inspection training, via web
or ½ day class.
Completed inspections: part of BB and TSC rooms in ATAC
CB and PACI.
3. Injury and Accident Reports
- June – Orillia employee strained their wrist while lifting a rolled up carpet.
- July – No injuries
- Aug – No injuries
- September – Thunder Bay campus. An employee from the bookstore slipped on spilled ketchup in the cafeteria. Employee suffered minor injuries.
Social Work – Orillia employee fell on an uneven sidewalk. Employee off work for a couple of days due to injuries.
There have been 11 ergonomic assessments completed from January to May 2017.
4. New Business/Open Discussion
A) 2017 annual asbestos audit has been completed. Shanon will be making a list of priorities for removal in the next fiscal year.
B) A faculty member in the Centennial Building raised a concern about sprayed on fire proofing in the ceiling above the brown slats in the hallway and outside the offices of CB 4082. Physical plant retained the services of TrueGrit. The samples have been tested and are confirmed to contain asbestos. The fire proofing is not deemed as being a hazard to the occupants of the offices in this area. Air and dust samples testing completed in this same area in March of 2017 indicated no presence of asbestos in the air or in the dust samples.
C) Heidi Forsyth has been hired to replace Tiffany Moore, Labs and Biosafety Specialist who will be going on mat leave shortly.
D) The Committee began the review process of the Offices and Classroom JOHSC terms of reference. A draft copy of the Terms of Reference will be shared in a google drive folder for members to provide further input/revisions.
Next meeting: Date and time to be determined (Friday)