Retail and Physical Support Service - June 15, 2017

Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 9:15am
Avila - Physical Plant meeting room

Health and Safety Committee Meeting

Retail and Physical Support Service

Lakehead University

955 Oliver Road


Date:  June 15, 2017

Place: Avila- Physical Plant meeting room

Time: 9:12 a.m.


Present: Steve Girvin, Ursula MacDonald, Brenda Rojik, Stan Nemec, Darren Carlin


Regrets:  Hugh Briggs, Brian Cox, Fred Plank, Rob McCluskey, Mike Davis


OLD Business:


            A.  Steve reported that the floor in the Power house is breaking.  There are no vehicles allowed inside. The area is cornered off with signs advising of the danger, until such time as a decision is made how the floor will be fixed. Jan.21, 2016 Steve advised that this project will be put on a list of capital projects for the 2016-2017 fiscal year.  This item has now been rolled into a co-generation project, if the project goes ahead.


            B.  April 21, 2016 - A discussion was held and Fred advised that the issue with the radios will continue in certain areas.  The radio system is older and it will require a significant amount of money to purchases a new system.  Steve advised that many of his staff have started carrying cell phones.  Steve will speak with Hugh to develop a communications strategy, perhaps the way to deal with this issue are cell phones.  Steve has engaged an expert in this field to come to a safety meeting with the mechanical crew to review any options which maybe suggested.

            Jan.19, 2017 – Fred will look into the cost of repeaters

            March 16, 2017 - The two way radio fill repeaters are still ongoing, I have approached one of my vendors and they have responded with pricing and a solution, still waiting for 2nd vendor to reply. This has been a bit of a slow process overall.


            C The 2017 Annual Asbestos audit has begun.  Shanon is working on a list of priorities for removal of asbestos from the 2016 audit.


            D.  Work on CASES has started.  Some of the work will be invasive at certain times including a trench through LOT 14 to connect the water, sewers and electrical.

            June 15, 2017 – Another trench will be dug later in the summer.  The University will have have to ensure that proper and secured fencing is put in place, especially with the arrival of students in the fall.


E. UCB 0001 – the area is very dusty and the employees who were working there reported burning eyes, itchy skin.  It is probably fiber glass.  True Grit has been retained to complete testing. Once the results are in a remediation plan will be undertaken.


F.  Darren spoke about a letter of understanding for the IUOE about coming to work when the University is closed.  Steve explained that the Mechanical department will have a meeting to discuss.





Injury Report;


  1. Maintenance employee – Employee was accessing a pipe leak over an air handling unit. He lost his balance and his arm contacted a steam pipe, he sustained burns to his elbow.


Near Misses:




Inspections Outstanding;

  • University Centre (Rob & Mike)
  • Braun Building/School of Nursing building – Steve & Fred



New Business:


  1.  There is a meeting set up for Thursday, June 29, 2017 with Physical Plant, Security and Health and Safety to discuss and hence develop a procedure for responding to natural gas call outs.


  1.  Ursula distributed hard copies of the Lakehead University’s Health and Safety policy for all to review and advise if they wish to suggest any changes.  Ursula requested that any comments should be forwarded to her by July 14, 2017.  Ursula will email electronic copies to the entire committee as well.



Meeting adjourned at 9:40 a.m.


NEXT MEETING:    Thursday, September 21, 2017 in Avila – Physical Plant meeting room at 9:00 a.m.