Place: Avila- Physical Plant meeting room
Time: 9:07 a.m.
Present: Steve Girvin, Stan Nemec, Fred Plank, Brian Cox, Rob McCluskey, Darren Carlin, Ursula MacDonald,
Regrets: Hugh Briggs, Brenda Rojik, Mike Davis
A. Steve reported that the floor in the Power house is breaking. There are no vehicles allowed inside. The area is cornered off with signs advising of the danger, until such time as a decision is made how the floor will be fixed. Jan.21, 2016 Steve advised that this project will be put on a list of capital projects for the 2016-2017 fiscal year. This item has now been rolled into a co-generation project, if the project goes ahead.
B. April 21, 2016 - A discussion was held and Fred advised that the issue with the radios will continue in certain areas. The radio system is older and it will require a significant amount of money to purchases a new system. Steve advised that many of his staff have started carrying cell phones. Steve will speak with Hugh to develop a communications strategy, perhaps the way to deal with this issue are cell phones. Steve has engaged an expert in this field to come to a safety meeting with the mechanical crew to review any options which maybe suggested.
Jan.19, 2017 – Fred will look into the cost of repeaters
March 16, 2017 - The two way radio fill repeaters are still ongoing, I have approached one of my vendors and they have responded with pricing and a their solution, still waiting for 2nd vendor to reply.This has been a bit of a slow process overall.
C. Hugh advised that a list from the 2015 asbestos audit will be complied in the next month or so. This list identifies areas with highest priority for asbestos abatement. Any work from this list will start in the new fiscal year (May 01, 2016.)
July 21, 2016 update- the 2016 audit is on underway, the physical examination of the campus has begun. The audit is now in its final stages and should be complete by Dec.2016
March 16,2017 - the Audit is complete and Shanon is working on list of priorities
D. The Asbestos Management program at Lakehead University is under review. An external consultant has been hired. The consultant has visited the campus and will write his report based on information gathered. This review was initiated by the Office of the President and as such it will be shared with the Senate and all other parties involved. The consultant hired to undertake this work is Pinchin Environmental. April 21 – Steve advised that the report is completed and it is with Sr. management for a review.
E. Hugh spoke about taking dust samples to test for asbestos content in CB, UC and RB.
As part of review undertaken by Pinchen the University will test various locations for asbestos
content in settled dust. Hugh would like 2 members from each JHSC committee to volunteer
to be a part of sub-committee which will then make recommendations on locations for testing.
Pinchn has on recommended testing at least 3 areas per each air handling unit. Members
interested in being on the sub-committee please contact Ursula.
July 21, 2016 update – all Committees have now selected members who will be part of this
sub-Committee and Hugh will schedule a meeting of this group very soon.
Oct. 27, 2016 – the Committee had met 3 times and the selection process is almost finalized,
the only building to complete the selection for is CB.
Jan.19, 2017 – Selection is now completed
March 16, 2017 – the report on the 28 air and 71 dust samples, (for suspect ACM) locations chosen by the JH&S committee is complete. Please note that asbestos was not found, except for 3 locations; and those quantities were below acceptable background concentrations in out & indoor air, as stated in the Ontario Royal Commission on Matters of Health and Safety arising from the Use of Asbestos in Ontario. Anyone wishing to view report contact Shanon A or Ursula MacDonald.
1. Maintenance employee – Employee working in crawl space hit his head and cut to of the
2. Grounds employee – Employee broke arm slipping on ice outside the skating rink
1. Security –slipped and fell on a patch of ice. Employee injured both elbows, left wrist and
jarred back and neck.
2. Hskp.Employee Res– fall in parking lot, injured left knee, bruised and swollen, 4 small cuts
3. Residence Employee – office employee slipped and fell on ice attempting to speak to
Security who were responding to another incident in this location.
4. Hskp. Residence – employee lifting a shampooing machine from a truck while the employee
was lifting it, he felt severe pain in his front shoulder/arm pit area
5. Security – employee was walking from vehicle when she slipped on ice, experiencing sore
neck and hip
- University Centre (Rob & Mike)
- Braun Building/School of Nursing building – Steve & Fred
1. The new member of the Committee representing IUOE is Darren Carlin.
2. There is a bit of a problem with the new paving job at Shipping and Receiving. Steve will
notify Diane MP.
3. Hillary Chesterman is the alternate member for the Committee representing Security.
4. Work on CASES has started. Some of the work will be invasive at certain times including a
trench through LOT 14 to connect the water, sewers and electrical.
5. There are chemicals in the Fieldhouse blocking access to electrical panels. Steve will speak
Meeting adjourned at 10:50 a.m.
NEXT MEETING: Thursday, April 20, 2017 in Avila – Physical Plant meeting room at