Health and Safety Committee Meeting Retail and Physical Support Service

Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 9:00am
AC 147

Present: Ursula MacDonald, Steve Girvin, Stan Nemec, Fred Plank, Brian Cox, Rob McCluskey, Brenda Rojik,


Regrets:  Hugh Briggs, Mike Davis,



OLD Business:


            A.  Steve reported that the floor in the Power house is breaking.  There are no vehicles allowed inside. The area is cornered off with signs advising of the danger, until such time as a decision is made how the floor will be fixed. Jan.21, 2016 Steve advised that this project will be put on a list of capital projects for the 2016-2017 fiscal year.  This item has now been rolled into a co-generation project, if the project goes ahead.


            B.  April 21, 2016 - A discussion was held and Fred advised that the issue with the radios will continue in certain areas.  The radio system is older and it will require a significant amount of money to purchases a new system.  Steve advised that many of his staff have started carrying cell phones.  Steve will speak with Hugh to develop a communications strategy, perhaps the way to deal with this issue are cell phones.  Steve has engaged an expert in this field to come to a safety meeting with the mechanical crew to review any options which maybe suggested.


            C Hugh advised that a list from the 2015 asbestos audit will be complied in the next month or so.  This list identifies areas with highest priority for asbestos abatement.  Any work from this list will start in the new fiscal year (May 01, 2016.)

            July 21, 2016 update- the 2016 audit is on underway, the physical examination of the             campus has begun. The audit is now in its final stages and should be complete by             Dec.2016


            D.  The Asbestos Management program at Lakehead University is under review. An             external consultant has been hired.  The consultant has visited the campus and will write             his report based on information gathered.  This review was initiated by the Office of the             President and as such it will be shared with the Senate and all other parties involved.  The             consultant hired to undertake this work is Pinchin Environmental.  April 21 – Steve             advised that the report is completed and it is with Sr. management for a review.


            E.   Rob has been tasked with requesting IUOE to elect another member for the JHSC

            committee now that Matt has left the University.





F.   Hugh spoke about taking dust samples to test for asbestos content in CB, UC and RB.

As part of review undertaken by Pinchen the University will test various locations for asbestos

content in settled dust.  Hugh would like 2 members from       each JHSC committee to volunteer

to be a part of sub-committee which will then make recommendations on locations for testing.

Pinchn has on recommended testing at least 3 areas per each air handling unit. Members

interested in being on the sub-committee please contact Ursula.

July 21, 2016 update – all Committees have now selected members who will be part of this

sub-Committee and Hugh will schedule a meeting of this group very soon.

Oct. 27, 2016 – the Committee had met 3 times and the selection process is almost finalized,

the only building to complete the selection for is CB. 


G.  Mike Davis brought up the following issue. Last October 2015 Security had requested the

Director of Security and the VP Administration and Finance for body armour. The Director of

Security has responded that the decision rests with the AVP of Human Resources and VP

Admin and Finance.  To date no answer has been given to the Security staff.  Security is

requesting soft body armour under the auspice of safety for the officers.


H.  TSC employee raised concerns about notification to employees if asbestos removal work is

being conducted in a building.  Ursula will speak to Shanon Arnold.


Injury Report;


No injuries to report this period


Near Misses:


Nothing to report



Inspections Outstanding;

  • University Centre (Rob & Mike)
  • Residence (Brian & Ursula & hskp employee on days)
  • Braun Building/School of Nursing building



New Business:


1.  Brian Cox asked about the flip charts and if they are still valid. Ursula advised that we always

update them as things change. Anyone who feels theirs is not current should contact Ursula and

she will provide new ones.


2.  Mid November Ministry of Labour visited the Office of Human Resources on an anonymous

complaint from Security Services in regards to request by Security staff for soft body armour.  In

this cases it is not MOL’s jurisdiction to ascertain if the Security department needs this specific

PPE.  The MOL advised the Chairs of the JHSC to follow the legislation as it pertains to

identifying situations that may be give rise to health and safety concerns.  Mike Davis (worker

chair) and Stan Nemec (management chair) issued a letter and a recommendation to Management (please see attached.)  Management has 21 days as per legislation to respond.






Meeting adjourned at 10:50 a.m.


NEXT MEETING:    Thursday, December 15, 2016 in Avila – Physical Plant meeting room at

9:00 a.m.