If you witness a crime or are a victim of crime:
- Call 8-911 immediately.
- State your name, your current location & your current telephone number.
- State briefly but clearly what you have observed or why you are calling.
- Identify when and where you witnessed the crime or were the victim of a crime.
- Stay on the line until Security Services arrives, unless exposed to danger or asked to hang up.
Call 8-911 immediately, when a threat is received by telephone, fax, note, e-mail or in person. Refer to "Bomb Threats" and record applicable information on the "Record of Threat".
Terminating a Negative (Disruptive, Threatening or Abusive) Interaction:
- Interrupt the conversation firmly but politely. Tell the person that you do not like the tone of the conversation and that you will end the conversation if necessary.
- If the behaviour persists, end the conversation, and ask the person to leave the room/office.
- If the person will not leave, leave yourself.
- Call 8-911.
In dealing with persistent disruptive or threatening behaviour in group settings, adjourn briefly
and call 8-911.
Should you feel threatened, contact your Supervisor and/or Security Services at 8569 or 8911. Responding to a Physical Attack
- Make a scene, yell or scream as loudly as possible. Try shouting words like STOP, FIRE or HELP.
- If you are being pulled along or dragged, fall to the ground and roll.
- If you have a whistle or a personal alarm, use it.
- Give bystanders specific instructions to help you. Single someone out and send them for help. eg. "You in the yellow shirt, call Security."
- If someone grabs your purse, briefcase, deposit bag or other belongings, DO NOT resist.
- Run in the opposite direction, yelling "HELP" or "FIRE".
- From the nearest safe place, call 8-911.
- Look for the "blue light", indicating the location of an emergency telephone.
Responding to a Robbery
- Remain calm.
- Listen carefully to what the robber says, and obey him or her.
- Ask the robber for clarification if needed.
- Speak only in response to the robber. DO NOT volunteer any information.
- If you must reach for something or move in any way, ask the robber for permission to do so.
- Immediately after the robber has left, lock the door and call 8-911.
- If you can avoid working alone, do so.
- If you must work alone, obtain your supervisor's permission and follow your departmental policy.
- During normal business hours, if you must work alone in a remote or isolated area, ensure that your supervisor knows where you are. Establish a "check-in schedule": you will check-in and someone will follow-up at regular intervals.
- Outside normal business hours, ALWAYS check in with Security first, and establish a "check-in schedule".
- Outside normal business hours, avoid working alone if you are handling hazardous chemicals or operating hazardous equipment.
- Plan your route. Know exactly where you are going.
- Wear comfortable, flat shoes, such as running shoes.
- Scan your route: be observant.
- Walk with confidence: keep your head up. Look around and directly at people to assess them, but do not stare.
- Stay on well-lit sidewalks, pathways and parking lots. Avoid bushes, doorways, alleys and parked cars. Cross the road if someone makes you uncomfortable.
- Use main entrances. Avoid rear or secluded entrances.
- If you know that you are being followed, walk directly and quickly, without running or looking back, to a safe place.
- Call 8-911.
Parking Lot Safety
- Park near the building in a highly visible and well-lit area.
- Don't leave valuables in your car.
- Be prepared when you leave the building or your vehicle: have your vehicle or building keys handy.
- Have the correct (vehicle) key in your hand as you approach your vehicle.
- Check in and around your vehicle before you get in. Ensure all doors are locked and windows are up.
- If someone is loitering near your vehicle, avoid them. Walk to a safe place and call 8-911.
- Security escorts are also available 24 hours per day. Call 8569.
For short-term parking after dark, try the Agora area. There are clear sight-lines between these parking spots and the main University Centre entrance.
Security Services: Just a phone call away!
including escort 8569
Keep In Touch K.I.T. 8569
Non-emergency Reporting 8569
Emergency Assistance 8-911