The following information outlines our decanal searches:
Policy for the Appointment of Deans
The following is the current policy for the Appointment of Deans
- Effective Date: Reviewed November 2015
- Approved by: President
Decanal Search Committee Membership
The Decanal Search Committee will be established by the Provost and Vice-President (Academic) with the following membership:
- The Provost and Vice-President (Academic) - Chair;
- One (1) Dean of another Faculty appointed by the Provost;
- Two (2) tenured Directors/Program Chairs or Program Coordinators appointed by the Provost, a minimum of one of these from within the Faculty concerned;
- Four (4) tenured full or associate professors, appointed by the Provost, who are not Chairs or Directors, three (3) from within the Faculty concerned and one (21) from another Faculty;
- One (1) full-time student form the Faculty concerned, appointed by the Provost based on a recommendation from the LUSU President;
- and such other members as appointed by the President and/or Provost and Vice-President (Academic).
Administrative support to the Committee will be provided by the Office of the Provost and Vice-President (Academic).
Terms of Reference
- The Provost and Vice-President (Academic) will determine, in consultation with the President, whether a search consultant will be retained in order to assist with the search.
- The Search Committee (or search consultant if retained), will develop a position profile for the Dean and a call for applications.
- The Committee (or search consultant if retained) shall call for nominations and applications for the position of Dean.
- The Committee (or search consultant if retained) shall invite comments from all members of the Faculty and the University at large concerning the general state of the Faculty and its future development.
- The Committee will determine the process that will be used to develop a short-list of suitable candidates along with the process used to conduct any interviews.
- In cases where the interview process is open to the University Community, all full-time members in the relevant Faculty will be provided with an opportunity to submit written opinions on the candidates presented.
- The Search Committee will serve in an advisory capacity to the Provost and Vice-President (Academic).
For more a complete list of Lakehead University's Human Resource Policies, see our Policies: Human Resources page