Frequently Asked Questions

1. When do I apply for Renewal of My Probationary Appointment?

If you have been hired in a tenure-track position, you will be required to apply for renewal of your probationary appointment in the third year of your employment. See the Collective Agreement between the Board of Governors of Lakehead University and the Lakehead University Faculty Association for full details on procedures and criteria for renewal, tenure and promotion.

2. How do I prepare for the Renewal process?

In preparation for applying for renewal, you should be starting to collect documentation to support your application, including evidence of teaching (e.g. course syllabi, sample assignments and exams), and the results of Student Feedback on Teaching, copies of publications, and any documentation relating to service to the University, profession, and/or the community. It is also a good idea to start preparing a teaching dossier that includes a statement of teaching philosophy (for more info visit: Most faculty members organize these documents into a binder that is submitted when they apply for renewal, tenure, promotion or merit. It is a good idea to consult with your Chair/Director and/or Dean about your application, to get advice on what to include and what to expect in the process.

The Office of the Provost offers information sessions on Promotion, Tenure, and Renewal every year in late summer and early fall. Watch the Communication Bulletins for dates and times.

3. How should I start getting involved in University service? How much is expected of me in each year?

The Collective Agreement states “To receive a recommendation for renewal, the member must show reasonable progress toward meeting the criteria for tenure, pursuant to 25.02 with the exception of 25.02.01 (A) and 25.02.01(C).” The requirement for tenure regarding service states that the candidate must “have discharged reasonable administrative responsibilities within the University community.” That means that you do need to be involved in some service to the University in order to meet the criteria for renewal.

You need to be careful, however, not to take on too much service, because it can prevent you from meeting the criteria for research and teaching; it is useful to consult your Chair/Director or Dean on how to strike a good balance. A good place to start your university service is by serving on one or two Departmental committees. After a year or two, you may want to consider sitting on a Senate committee. Calls for membership on Senate committees are coordinated through the University Secretariat and are advertised in various ways.  Again, it is useful to consult your Chair/Director or Dean about what might be most appropriate. For a complete list of Senate Committees and their terms of reference, visit

4. What do I have to do to supervise graduate students and where do I go for information? 

To supervise graduate students you must be a member of the Faculty of Graduate Studies.  In some departments or schools, new faculty members take on the role of graduate supervision immediately; talk to your Chair/Director and Graduate Coordinator about the practice in your particular department or school. For detailed information on Graduate Supervision, and how to apply to become a member of the Faculty of Graduate Studies, see the Graduate Supervision Policy

5. What is the Professional Expenses Reimbursement? 

The Professional Expenses Reimbursement is detailed in Article 36.07 in the LUFA Collective Agreement. It is available for professionally-related expenditures, including those related to research and teaching improvement, made by the member (Full-time or Lecturer appointment) in the calendar year.  Eligible expenses are listed under Article 36.07.03.

6. Do I need to keep receipts to access the professional expenses reimbursement each year?

Yes. While the University does not require receipts, it is important to keep receipts in the event of an audit by the Canada Revenue Agency. For more information, see Article 36.07.04.

7. Am I eligible for a teaching award?

Lakehead University has three teaching awards: the Contribution to Teaching Award, the Teaching Innovation Award, and the Distinguished Instructor Award. Each of these awards have specific eligibility criteria, and detailed information can be found on the Teaching Commons site:

8. Am I eligible for a research award?

There are two research awards. The Research Excellence Awards recognize outstanding recent research activity by Lakehead University faculty, with potential for three annual awards given, one in each of the Social Sciences and Humanities, Natural Sciences and Engineering, and Health research categories. The second is the Distinguished Researcher Award, the highest honour conferred by Lakehead University for research and scholarly activity.  For more information on these awards, visit:

9. Am I eligible to apply for a merit award?

Merit awards are based on the previous two years of employment at Lakehead University thus, you are eligible to apply when you have completed two years of employment at the University. For detailed information, see APPENDIX I: Merit Criteria & Procedures for Merit Awards of the LUFA Collective Agreement.