Retail Physical and Support Service Meeting - November 15, 2018

Thursday, November 15, 2018 - 9:00am
AC 147

Present: Ursula MacDonald, Mike Davis, Stan Nemec, Fred Plank, Steve Girvin, Brian Cox


Regrets:  Hugh Briggs, Darren Carlin, Heather Spivak, Rob McCluskey



OLD Business:

  1.        A.        Steve reported that the floor in the Power house is breaking.  There are no        vehicles allowed inside. The area is cornered off with signs advising of the danger,          until such time as a decision is made how the floor will be fixed. Jan.21, 2016 Steve            advised that this project will be put on a list of capital projects for the 2016-2017 fiscal   year. 

                        Nov. 15/18 – Steve advised that jack posts will be installed under the floor to provide the necessary support.


            B.  Radio communications in PACI continues to be a problem, especially the         basement.

                 March 15/18 – Steve will be setting up a meeting with Hugh and TSC to discuss             communication options for the mechanical crew. It seems that the issues with the            radio are ongoing and Steve would like to see a permanent resolution.

            June 21, 2018 update;


            1. UC0035

            Antenna will be moved to a more central area further down towards the caged      mechanical room. This has been reviewed and should be completed shortly. Sept.20, 2018 -The work has been completed but the mechanical group advises there is no           noticeable improvement.


            2. PACI

            We found a major issue at PACI, the main component which operates the antenna for             reception in the building has failed. This explains why no one has been able to             communicate within the building. The only signal the radios have been receiving has       been directly from main campus, hence why the radios only seem to be working             outside of the building. There is a work order in for additional repeaters for the       building, however once the unit has been repaired or replaced we should have normal            function again in PACI, and not require the extra repeaters.


            C.  There is a meeting set up for Thursday, June 29, 2017 with Physical Plant, Security and Health and Safety to discuss and hence develop a procedure for responding to natural gas call outs.  October 19, 2017 – we are waiting for Security to review and finalize the procedure.  Mike Davis will provide an update at the next meeting. Ursula will follow up. Sept.20, 2018 – Heidi Forsyth has been hired by Physical Plant to work on various projects. This project is one of the items she will be completing. Nov.15, 2018 this project is 80% complete.      


            D.  The mechanical group is requesting a review of our confined space procedure. The group is asking for an official review of our space to ascertain which areas are considered as confined space. The group would also like to receive some training in regards to confined space.

                        March 15/2018 – Steve has been in touch with Intola Safety to provide training and inspection of areas at the University which are under question for confined space.

                        Apr.19/18 – it is anticipated that Intola Safety will be here in the month of May to begin this process.

                        May 17/18 – Intola is expected on site in the next two weeks.

                        Sept.20/18 – Physical Plant is waiting for a report from Intola.

                        Nov.15, 2018 – four (4) locations have been identified as confined space. Two (2) of the areas will be retrofitted to eliminate the hazard of confined space. The other two (2) spaces will be contracted out to qualified firm when works needs to completed in the space.


            E.  The electrician raised a concern about smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in residence. Many times when the electricians arrive to install/fix them they have already been disconnected.  Brian will look into the situation and reinforce the seriousness of the matter. Students who are dismantling/damaging lifesaving device are fined by the University. A suggestion was made to have stickers by the devices advising that no one should be tampering with the life saving device.


            F.  Housekeeping are requesting that a new BFI bin with a side door be provided at the back of CB. A side door allows employees to throw out garbage without having to reach above their shoulder. 


            G.There is a floor hatch in this BB1047 and people working in this area have expressed concerns of asbestos possibly seeping into the room via the hatch. They would like the area tested to confirm that it is in fact a safe environment to continue their work in.        Nov.15, 2018 – Shanon A, Ursula M and the concerned employee have



New Businees:


  1.  A TSC employee requested air quality assessment in the LB 1015.


Injury Report:




Near Misses:




Inspections Outstanding;

  • Braun Building – Darren, Rob and Steve
  • Centennial Building –
  • Tungsten Street – Ursula & Heather


NEXT MEETING:    Thursday, December 20, 2018 in Avila – Physical Plant meeting room at 9:00 a.m.