Retail and Physical Support Service - March 1, 2018

Thursday, March 1, 2018 - 9:00am

Health and Safety Committee Meeting

Retail and Physical Support Service

Lakehead University

955 Oliver Road


Date:  March 01, 2018

Place: Avila- Physical Plant meeting room

Time: 9:08 a.m.


Present:  Steve Girvin, Ursula MacDonald, Brian Cox, Darren Carlin, Heather Spivak, Rob McCluskey, Stan Nemec

Regrets:  Hugh Briggs, Fred Plank, Mike Davis,


OLD Business:

  1.        A.        Steve reported that the floor in the Power house is breaking.  There are no        vehicles allowed inside. The area is cornered off with signs advising of the danger,          until such time as a decision is made how the floor will be fixed. Jan.21, 2016 Steve            advised that this project will be put on a list of capital projects for the 2016-2017 fiscal   year.  This item has now been rolled into a co-generation project, if the project goes        ahead.

Nov.16/17 - a structural engineer has bene retained to complete an assessment a recommend a temporary fix. On going

            B.  Radio communications in PACI continues to be a problem, especially the         basement.

            C.  There is a meeting set up for Thursday, June 29, 2017 with Physical Plant, Security and Health and Safety to discuss and hence develop a procedure for responding to natural gas call outs.  October 19, 2017 – we are waiting for Security to review and finalize the procedure.  Mike Davis will provide an update at the next meeting. Ursula will follow up


Injury Report;

  1. An employee fell twice in the Avila parking lot about two weeks apart. She hurt both knees and an arm. The employee did seek medical attention about a month later as her knees continued to be sore. Medical aid.
  1.  An employee who works for the University as a clinical instructor fell at the TBRHSC parking lot while going to work to supervise LU students.  She broke her arm.  Lost time accident.


Near Misses:

A fall in the parking lot 5 resulted in an employee hurting her right hand and both knees.  First aid.


Inspections Outstanding;

  • ATAC – Fred and Stan
  • Bike Shelter – Fred and Stan
  • Bora Laskin/Faculty of Ed; Darren, Steve and Rob McCluskey
  • Braun Building


New Business:

  1. Heather Spviak is now replacing Ms. Rojik as the Unifor representative on the

RPSS - JHSC. We wish to thank Brenda for many years of service on this committee and wish her a wonderful, healthy retirement.

  1. Steve advised that the CASES project is on track. There will be significant amount of work around campus this spring/summer including work on the Greenhouse, Kitchen and Bora Laskin Faculty of Education.  LUSU will also be installing Booster Juice counter in the Outpost. The Residence will see a fair amount of maintenance related activity including installation of HAVC system in Bartley Conference Centre and upgrades to Apartments 1 & 2.
  1. The Library commons are almost complete. The space across form Security will then be remodeled to accommodate new tenants.
  1. The mechanical group is requesting a review of our confined space procedure. The group is asking for an official review of our space to ascertain which areas are considered as confined space. The group would also like to receive some training in regards to confined space.
  1. The electrician raised a concern about smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in residence. Many times when the electricians arrive to install/fix them they have already been disconnected.  Brian will look into the situation and reinforce the seriousness of the matter. Students who are dismantling/damaging lifesaving device are fined by the University. A suggestion was made to have stickers by the devices advising that no one should be tampering with the life saving device.
  1. Heather raised a concern about Shipping and Receiving. The staff are concerned about black mould in this space due to presence of water. Anytime the snow melts or when it rains, the water pours into the building soaking and rotting the wood inside.
  1. Heather also raised a concern about the forklift in the Shipping and Receiving area.  The forklift is old and the engine burns oil and it creates hazardous gases harmful to the employees. The issue is worst during winter months         when they are unable to open the door.
  1. Stan is working with Canada Post in Winnipeg to allow our people better access to the Thunder Bay depot.  The current access is problematic due to hazardous conditions.


NEXT MEETING:    Thursday, March 15, 2018 in Avila – Physical Plant meeting room at  9:00 a.m.