Retail and Physical Support Service - October 2016

Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 9:15am
Avila- Physical Plant meeting room

Present: Mike Davis, Ursula MacDonald, Steve Girvin, Stan Nemec, Fred Plank


Regrets:  Brian Cox, Rob McCluskey, Brenda Rojik, Hugh Briggs



OLD Business:


            A.  Steve reported that the floor in the Power house is breaking.  There are no vehicles allowed inside. The area is cornered off with signs advising of the danger, until such time as a decision is made how the floor will be fixed. Jan.21, 2016 Steve advised that this project will be put on a list of capital projects for the 2016-2017 fiscal year.


            B.  Matt advised that at times radios do not work in PACI especially in the basement/chiller room.

            One way to address this problem is to install a hard wired phone.  Steve will put in a work order in to have a phone installed in this area.


            April 21, 2016 – a phone has been installed in this location. A discussion was held and Fred advised that the issue with the radios will continue in certain areas.  The radio system is older and it will require a significant amount of money to purchases a new system.  Steve advised that many of his staff have started carrying cell phones.  Steve will speak with Hugh to develop a communications strategy, perhaps the way to deal with this issue are cell phones.


            C  Hugh advised that a list from the 2015 asbestos audit will be complied in the next month or so.  This list identifies areas with highest priority for asbestos abatement.  Any work from this list will start in the new fiscal year (May 01, 2016.)

            July 21, 2016 update- the 2016 audit is on underway, the physical examination of the             campus has begun.


            E.  The Asbestos Management program at Lakehead University is under review. An             external consultant has been hired.  The consultant has visited the campus and will write             his report based on information gathered.  This review was initiated by the Office of the             President and as such it will be shared with the Senate and all other parties involved.  The             consultant hired to undertake this work is Pinchin Environmental.  April 21 – Steve             advised that the report is completed and it is with Sr. management for a review.


            F.   Rob has been tasked with requesting IUOE to elect another member for the JHSC

            committee now that Matt has left the University.


            G.   Hugh spoke about taking dust samples to test for asbestos content in CB, UC and RB. As part of review undertaken by Pinchen the University will test various locations for asbestos content in settled dust.  Hugh would like 2 members from       each JHSC committee to volunteer to be a part of sub-committee which will then make recommendations on locations for testing.  Pinchn has on recommended testing at least 3 areas per each air handling unit. Members interested in being on the sub-committee please contact Ursula.

            July 21, 2016 update – all Committees have now selected members who will be part of this sub-Committee and Hugh will schedule a meeting of this group very soon.

            Oct. 27, 2016 – the Committee had met 3 times and the selection process is almost finalized, the only building to complete the selection for is CB. 


            H.  Shipping and Receiving employees have requested an update in regards to the

            unevern/broken surface in front of Shipping and Receiving area. Because the area is

            uneven/broken it creates a tipping hazard for the forklift.  The use of forklift in this area has been stopped until such time, as the area is fixed. Hugh advised that Physical Plant management were in the process of obtaining prices and the expectation is that the area will be fixed this summer.

            July 21, 2016 – work on this will begin very soon.

            October 27, 2016 – the work has been completed.


            J.  At the last meeting Brenda raised a concern about lack of lights in the Senate bathrooms and the kitchenette. This concern has been addressed with temporary lights installation. This was a direct result of the work being done on OneStop.  The work on OneStop is moving well and the permanent lighting should be returning soon.


            K.  TSC raised a concern in regards to chained chairs in certain lecture halls. Ursula advised that those chairs are there as a result of specific accommodation issues. They must remained fastened to the floor as they are specialized chairs and people tend to “move them out” to different locations.



Injury Report;


No injuries to report this period


Near Misses:


Nothing to report



Inspections Outstanding;

  • Forestry Garage
  • University Centre (Rob & Mike)
  • Residence (Brian & Ursula & hskp employee on days)
  • 874 Tungsten St



New Business:


A.  Mike Davis brought up the following issue. Last October 2015 Security had requested the

 Director of Security and the VP Administration and Finance for body armour. The Director of

Security has responded that the decision rests with the AVP of Human Resources and VP

 Admin and Finance.  To date no answer has been given to the Security staff.  Security is

requesting soft body armour under the auspice of safety for the officers.


B.  There is awater main leak between the bridge and the field house. It is a relatively big

project in terms of digging especially since the hole will be very deep. Will have to take special

when boarding it up.


C.  Updates on other projects;

Financial Services project has started, completion date end of November as the CNFER

work must begin in the new year.


Ground floor library work completion date expected mid November.


D.  TSC employee advised that she did not receive a copy of the MSDS sheet for the lacquer

which was used in the basement of the Library in August of this year.  Ursula will resend a copy.

The employee also raised concerns about notification to employees if asbestos removal work is

being conducted in a building.  Ursula will speak to Shanon Arnold.


F.  Hazardous materials training (2 sessions, 2 days each) will be conducted at the end of 

November and beginning of December.  Members of physical plant, TSC and residence are

expected to attend.



Meeting adjourned at 10:50 a.m.


NEXT MEETING:    Thursday, November 17, 2016 in Avila – Physical Plant meeting room at

9:00 a.m.