Health and Safety Committee Meeting Retail and Physical Support Service

Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 10:00am
AV Physical Plant Meeting Room

Present: Steve Girvin, Stan Nemec, Fred Plank, Mike Davis, Brian Cox


Regrets:  Rob McCluskey, Brenda Rojik, Matt Serino, Hugh Briggs



OLD Business:


  1.        A.  Ursula spoke about GHS. The Ontario legislation has now been passed.  Ursula        will updated the Committee more about this at the next meeting including any updates     on training.


            B.  Steve reported that the floor in the Power house is breaking.  There are no vehicles allowed inside. The area is cornered off with signs advising of the danger, until such time as a decision is made how the floor will be fixed. Jan.21, 2016 Steve advised that this project will be put on a list of capital projects for the 2016-2017 fiscal year.


            C.  Matt advised that at times radios do not work in PACI especially in the basement/chiller room.

            One way to address this problem is to install a hard wired phone.  Steve will put in a work order in to have a phone installed in this area.


            April 21, 2016 – a phone has been installed in this location. A discussion was held and Fred advised that the issue with the radios will continue in certain areas.  The radio system is older and it will require a significant amount of money to purchases a new system.  Steve advised that many of his staff have started carrying cell phones.  Steve will speak with Hugh to develop a communications strategy, perhaps the way to deal with this issue are cell phones.


            D.  Hugh advised of the following projects;


  • One stop initiative – the first priority to move all current occupants to allow for asbestos             abatement in the area
  • ELP (English language program) – will be vacating the space in PACI but at this time no alternate location has been selected


            E.  Hugh advised that a list from the 2015 asbestos audit will be complied in the next             month or so.  This list identifies areas with highest priority for asbestos abatement.  Any             work from this list will start in the new fiscal year (May 01, 2016.)


            F.  The Asbestos Management program at Lakehead University is under review. An             external consultant has been hired.  The consultant has visited the campus and will write his report based on information gathered.  This review was initiated by the Office of the President and as such it will be shared with the Senate and all other parties involved.  The consultant hired to undertake this work is Pinchin Environmental.  April 21 – Steve advised that the report is completed and it is with Senior management for a review.


5.  Ursula reminded everyone that a while ago she send a copy Terms of Reference for the Committee. She has requested that members of the Committee please read the document before the next meeting so that we can review them and update as needed.


6.  Hugh advised thatLakehead University Physical Plant has determined that removing all or part of a false ceiling to obtain access to a work area in the CB, UC or RB buildings is likely to have asbestos containing materials lying on the surface of the false ceiling.  This is due to the age of the spray fire proofing material that has been used in CB, UC and RB.  Ontario Regulation 278/05 Asbestos Table 2 stipulates which type of respirator is required to be used upon the work category.  For the work described above an air purifying full-facepiece respirator with N-100, R-100 particulate filter is required. For further clarification please review the attached excerpts from the Regulation. Please also review the entire Regulation. Two attachments with the information will be provide with these minutes on this subject.


Injury Report;


January – none


February – none


March – 1 lost time (1.5 days). Employee (admin. asst) fell in parking lot 5 during a bad winter storm.  Employee hurt right hip and lower back.  Continues to seek treatment but has returned to work.

March – Medical aid. Employee (shipping and receiving) while working with another employee unloading a cart from a shipping truck, the cart unexpectedly bounced off the ground. The handle of the cart struck the employee on the right cheek below the eye. The employee required stiches.


Near Misses:

Jan – none


Feb – a library assistant slipped and fell and hit head at the Circulation desk. The fall may have been caused by the loose gravel on the floor in front of the circulation desk.


March – Electrician scraped the top of the right hand between the thumb & pointer finger when removing a fuse in a very tight area. The employee was reminded by his supervisor to ensure to wear gloves which can protect the hands.


March – Housekeeping employee (residence). Employee on ice on the roadway on the way to work when crossing from parking lot. Employee hurt right side of her back, elbow and left shoulder.


March – Employee from a mechanical group twisted lower back when throwing out some old tubing into a BFI bin. It appears that there was ice buildup around the BFI bin causing the employee to slip and fall.


March – Housekeeping employee reported that she had injured herself while working on an event off campus. She stated that she pulled something in her back.


April – Faculty (NRM). Employee slipped on icy surface outside the MVA building. Employee advised that he had a sore right knee.


April – Mail Room & Print shop. Employee fell on icy surface outside the print shop. Employee advised that he had a sore right knee.


April – Admin. Asst. Nursing – Employee slipped on icy surface in the parking lot. Not certain of the injury.



Inspections Outstanding;

  • Library  (Mike & Ursula)
  • Forestry Garage & Greenhouse (Matt & Stan)
  • University Centre (Rob & Mike)
  • PACI (Fred & Steve)


New Business:


1.         Steve spoke about upcoming projects. 


Physical Plant will be digging a hole to replace a hydrant on Rheume Street which will involve closing part of the street to all traffic.

There will also be digging going on in parking Lots 13 & 14


2.         Steve also spoke about the new hearing protection regulation. Ursula will look into this             further to see how it effects LU and we can discuss it at the next meeting. The changes             come into effect July 01, 2016.


3.         Stan brought up the issue of possibly changing the time of the safety meeting to 10:00   a.m. as the 9:00 a.m. comes into a conflict for Stan with another meeting.



Meeting adjourned at 11:50 a.m.


NEXT MEETING:    Thursday, May 19, 2016 in Avila – Physical Plant meeting room at 9:00 a.m.