June 23, 2016 RPSS

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 11:30am

Health and Safety Committee Meeting
Retail and Physical Support Service
Lakehead University
955 Oliver Road

Date: June 23, 2016
Place: Avila- Physical Plant meeting room
Time: 9:08 a.m.

Present: Stan Nemec, Fred Plank, Mike Davis, Brian Cox, Frank Fabiano, Rob McCluskey

Regrets: Brenda Rojik, Hugh Briggs, Steve Girvin

OLD Business:

A. Ursula spoke about GHS. The Ontario legislation has now been passed. Ursula will updated the Committee more about this at the next meeting including any updates on training.
June 21, 2016 – update. Ursula has asked for funding to purchase the software, and expects that all will be in place very soon.

B. Steve reported that the floor in the Power house is breaking. There are no vehicles allowed inside. The area is cornered off with signs advising of the danger, until such time as a decision is made how the floor will be fixed. Jan.21, 2016 Steve advised that this project will be put on a list of capital projects for the 2016-2017 fiscal year.

C. Matt advised that at times radios do not work in PACI especially in the basement/chiller room.
One way to address this problem is to install a hard wired phone. Steve will put in a work order in to have a phone installed in this area.

April 21, 2016 – a phone has been installed in this location. A discussion was held and Fred advised that the issue with the radios will continue in certain areas. The radio system is older and it will require a significant amount of money to purchases a new system. Steve advised that many of his staff have started carrying cell phones. Steve will speak with Hugh to develop a communications strategy, perhaps the way to deal with this issue are cell phones.

D. Hugh advised of the following projects;

• One stop initiative – the first priority to move all current occupants to allow for asbestos abatement in the area
• ELP (English language program) – will be vacating the space in PACI but at this time no alternate location has been selected. June 23, 2016 update – the decision has been made and ELP will be moving to the Library, ground floor.

E. Hugh advised that a list from the 2015 asbestos audit will be complied in the next month or so. This list identifies areas with highest priority for asbestos abatement. Any work from this list will start in the new fiscal year (May 01, 2016.)

F. The Asbestos Management program at Lakehead University is under review. An external consultant has been hired. The consultant has visited the campus and will write his report based on information gathered. This review was initiated by the Office of the President and as such it will be shared with the Senate and all other parties involved. The consultant hired to undertake this work is Pinchin Environmental. April 21 – Steve advised that the report is completed and it is with Senior management for a review.

G. Ursula reminded everyone that a while ago she send a copy Terms of Reference for the Committee. She has requested that members of the Committee please read the document before the next meeting so that we can review them and update as needed. June 21, 2016 –the Committee has requested that Ursula review the document and then advise of the need changes at the next JHSC meeting.

H. Hugh advised that Lakehead University Physical Plant has determined that removing all or part of a false ceiling to obtain access to a work area in the CB, UC or RB buildings is likely to have asbestos containing materials lying on the surface of the false ceiling. This is due to the age of the spray fire proofing material that has been used in CB, UC and RB. Ontario Regulation 278/05 Asbestos Table 2 stipulates which type of respirator is required to be used upon the work category. For the work described above an air purifying full-facepiece respirator with N-100, R-100 particulate filter is required. For further clarification please review the attached excerpts from the Regulation. Please also review the entire Regulation. Two attachments with the information will be provide with these minutes on this subject. June 21, 2016 –as this item has been on the minutes for some time now, the Committee has decided that it no longer needs to be on and it
should be removed from the minutes.

I. Steve spoke about upcoming projects.

Physical Plant will be digging a hole to replace a hydrant on Rheume Street which will involve closing part of the street to all traffic. This has now been completed, to be removed from minutes
There will also be digging going on in parking Lots 13 & 14

J. Steve also spoke about the new hearing protection regulation. Ursula will look into this further to see how it effects LU and we can discuss it at the next meeting. The changes come into effect July 01, 2016. Will discuss it further at the next meeting.

K. Stan brought up the issue of possibly changing the time of the safety meeting to 10:00 a.m. as the 9:00 a.m. comes into a conflict for Stan with another meeting. Stan has advised that so far it is not a problem.

Injury Report;

No injuries to report this period

Near Misses:

May – Hskp. employee piling tables on a rolling car, two employees put 3 tables on top of each other and one table slipped and hit the employee on the head.

May – Hskp. employee was using a chair mover to move chairs, the handle on the stack of chairs bounced back and hit her in the mouth. Small cut inside upper lip. The employee was reminded not to stack chairs too high/too many as the particular employee is small in stature and the chairs were too high for the employee.

May – Hskp. (Res) stepped in a gopher hole and twisted right ankle when weed whacking

June – Building.Maint. Employee hurt lower back while demolishing some cabinets using a crowbar, his back suddenly started to spasm

June – Hskp. employee hurt right wrist and 3 small fingers when a chair she was trying to move slipped back and against display case catching her wrist and her fingers. The fingers were swollen and bruised, employee applied ice and went home early.

Inspections Outstanding;
• Forestry Garage & Greenhouse (Matt & Stan)
• University Centre (Rob & Mike)
• Residence (Brian & Ursula & hskp employee on days)
• 874 Tungsten St

New Business:

1. Fred advised that camera's for Residence have now come in and have been installed.

2. Rob has been tasked with requesting IUOE to elect another member for the JHSC committee now that Matt has left the University.

3. Rob also spoked about the use of personal cell phones for business when they the employees are in an area where the radios do not work. Someone advised that the University will reimburse the employee for those calls and Rob was advised to speak to Steve G.

4. Ursula reminded everyone to pick plugging away at the inspections.

Meeting adjourned at 11:50 a.m.

NEXT MEETING: Thursday, July 21, 2016 in Avila – Physical Plant meeting room at 9:00 a.m.