SECURITY GUARD – Full Time, Security Services, Competition # USW-22-08, Thunder Bay, ON
SECURITY GUARD – Full Time
Thunder Bay Campus
This position is subject to rotating shifts and day or night duty
Competition # USW-22-08
Under general supervision, reporting to the Director, Security Services, the Security Guard performs duties for the purpose of preventing theft and vandalism, maintaining order, providing security for all University personnel, buildings and property, controlling traffic and parking, guiding students and visitors, and undertaking special investigation duties as required. Incumbents in this classification are subject to rotating shifts and day or night duty.
- Patrols campus to prevent and discover, observe and report offences, including potential intruders and criminal offenders, trespasser and those in breach of university policy;
- Conducts patrols for insecure areas, fire and other threats to campus structures including equipment malfunctions and makes reports and takes appropriate action;
- Engages in parking and smoking control enforcement;
- Responds to inquires and follows up with required information or responses;
- Responds to emergency medical calls for service on campus;
- Provides walking escort services for faculty, staff and students;
- Works with other Security Guards, Emergency First Response Team (EFRT), and Emergency Services (Police, Ambulance, Fire) as required;
- Responsible for assisting with access to restricted areas;
- Provide assistance and direction to visitors, staff, and students;
- Enter data in various computer programs on a daily basis;
- Assists with University lost and found service;
- Completes and submits timely reports and administrative forms as required;
- Relieves Associate Security Guard as is required;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Mandatory requirement: Must posses a Law and Security Administration or Police Foundations Diploma, and/or University degree or equivalent combination of education (minimum Grade 12) and experience;
- Mandatory requirement: Must possess a valid Ontario Private Security & Investigative Services License;
- Mandatory requirement: Must possess a valid driver’s license (class “G” minimum) and maintaining a driving record ensuring insurable status for the operation of university vehicles;
- Mandatory requirement: Must possess a valid first aid certificate and training in fire prevention;
- Sufficiently proficient in the use of PCs to utilize reporting and searching programs to assist in daily duties, submission of reports, investigations and familiarity in Datatel Colleague systems an asset;
- Knowledge of investigative techniques and/or experience in security an asset;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Strong customer service, interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion with emphasis on good human relations, courtesy, deportment and appearance;
- Ability to handle all security matters in a trustworthy and confidential manner;
- Ability to perform regular patrolling Security Guard duties (includes patrolling Lakehead University campus buildings and grounds on foot, by car and by bicycle; includes climbing stairs);
- Willingness to perform rotating shift duty;
- Possess a valid first aid certificate and training in fire prevention;
- Familiarity with the Occupational Health & Safety Act, its regulations and other health and safety related legislation and standards.
As a condition of employment, the successful candidate must provide a criminal record check and three-year drivers abstract.
Interested applicants may apply by clicking on this link: Full Time Security Guard Application Form and attaching your resume in a PDF format.
If you have any technical difficulties in accessing the link, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Lakehead University is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals including women, racialized persons, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and other equity-seeking groups. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. This is in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements.
We appreciate your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be notified. Lakehead University is committed to supporting an accessible environment.