Research Assistant Intern
Department of Chemistry
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Full-Time, Contract (12 months)
Anticipated Start Date: as soon as available
During the placement, the intern will be assisting research on our post-COVID-19 MRI imaging lung study. This position will focus on conducting research and the regulatory process underlying it.
1. Assist with ongoing experiments in Hyperpolarized (HP) 129Xe MRI imaging and research
coordination that are both clinical and pre-clinical in nature.
2. Initial calibration of quadrature flex lung coil using both thermally polarized and
hyperpolarized 129Xe phantoms to optimize the transmit power MRI settings.
3. Perform statistical data analysis including T-tests, Welch's tests, as well as correlation and
4. Optimize repetition time, echo time, and k-space trajectories for post-COVID gas transfer
impairment detection with the highest possible sensitivity.
5. Perform image quality analysis (i.e. SNR calculations, CNR calculations, and image artifact
6. Perform histogram image analysis for post-COVID-related gas transfer impairment detection.
7. Assessment of ventilation heterogeneity via local HP 129Xe signal variance calculation.
8. Contribute to protocol writing, creation and maintenance and organization of study
documents, and coordination of experiments, for clinical trial and research studies.
9. Assist with preparing and maintaining the research project's regulatory and administrative
documents, contributing to the presentation/dissemination of research results, manuscript and
research application preparation, and outreach.
- Candidate must be a new entrant into the workforce, are transitioning to a new career, or be unemployed or underemployed who are entering a new field
- Candidate must have not previously participated in an NOHFC funded internship in the 2020 Mandate
- Candidate must be legally eligible to work in Canada
- Once hired, the candidate must reside in Thunder Bay
Interested applicants are invited to submit a single PDF document quoting competition #GEN-22-11 containing a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional
references by 4:30pm on October 11, 2022:
Department of Chemistry
955 Oliver Road, Thunder Bay, ON. P7B 5E1
THIS OPPORTUNITY IS
PROUDLY SUPPORTED BY:
We appreciate your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be notified.
Lakehead University is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals including women, racialized persons, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and other equity-seeking groups. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. This is in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements.
Lakehead University is committed to supporting an accessible environment. Applicants requiring accommodation during the interview process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (807) 343.8334 or email@example.com to make appropriate arrangements.