Part Time, Permanent
Competition # OR-USW-22-07
Under the general supervision and reporting to the Manager of Security Services, the Associate Security Guard performs duties for the purpose of preventing theft and vandalism, maintaining order, providing security for all University personnel, buildings and property, controlling traffic and parking, guiding students and visitors and undertaking special investigation duties as required. The Associate Security Guards are subject to rotating shifts and day or night duty.
- Patrols campus to prevent and discover, observe and report offences, including potential intruders and criminal offenders, trespassers and those in breach of University Policy.
- Conducts patrols for insecure areas, fire and other threats to campus structures including equipment malfunctions and makes reports and takes appropriate action
- Engages in parking and smoking control and enforcement
- Responds to inquiries and follows up with required information or responses
- Responds to emergency medical calls for service on campus
- Provides walking escort services for faculty, staff and students
- Works with other Security Guards, Emergency First Response Team (EFRT) and Emergency Services (Police, Fire, Ambulance) as required
- Responsible for assisting with access to restricted areas
- Provide assistance and direction to visitors, staff and students
- Enter data in various computer programs on a daily basis
- Assists with University lost and found program
- Completes and submits timely reports and administrative forms as required
- Relieves Associates Security Guards as is required
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Must possess a Law and Security Administration or Police Foundations Diploma, and/or University Degree or equivalent combination of education (minimum grade 12) and experience
- Must possess a valid Ontario Private Security & Investigative Services License
- Sufficiently proficient in the use of PCs to utilize reporting and searching programs to assist in daily duties, submission of reports, investigations and familiarity in Datatel Colleague systems as asset
- Knowledge of investigative techniques and/or experience in security an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to handle all security matters in a trustworthy and confidential manner
- Ability to perform regular patrolling Security Guard duties (includes patrolling Lakehead University campus buildings and grounds on foot, by vehicle and by bicycle, including climbing stairs
- Must possess a valid driver’s licence (class ‘G’ minimum) and maintaining a driving record ensuring insurable status for operation of University vehicle.
- Willingness to perform shift duties (including day and night shift, weekend and week day work)
Interested applicants may apply by clicking on this link: Part Time Security Guard Application Form and attaching your resume in a PDF format.
If you have any technical difficulties in accessing the link, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
We appreciate your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be notified.
Lakehead University is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals including women, racialized persons, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and other equity-seeking groups. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. This is in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements.
Lakehead University is committed to supporting an accessible environment. Applicants requiring accommodation during the interview process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (807) 343.8334 or email@example.com to make appropriate arrangements.