Many Lakehead students have been working hard at their studies since last September. With less than two months left in the school year, a lot of students may be starting to feel burned out. You may feel like writing a single paragraph for an assignment is a hefty task. Luckily, there are things you can do if you are struggling to stay focused and motivated.
Firstly, it is important to identify if you are in fact feeling burned out. Burnout is a stress condition which is common in perfectionists and overachievers and can make it difficult to cope with everyday tasks. Some common signs and symptoms of burnout include:
- Exhaustion and lack of energy
- Isolating oneself from friends and family
- Frequent illness
- Feeling empty inside
- Difficulty concentrating
Burnout can be very difficult to deal with, but luckily, it can be combatted through the practice of healthy life habits. These habits include:
- Exercising regularly, even if you only have time for a short walk every day
- Eating a balanced and healthy diet, which includes foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids
- Getting a good night’s sleep and avoiding caffeine and smartphone viewing before bedtime
- Practicing mindfulness and relaxation activities, such as yoga or meditation
- Reaching out to loved ones if you need support
Remember to practice these healthy habits as often as possible. We wish you the best of luck as you finish out the 2022/2023 school year!