Thunder Bay Campus
Full time, Permanent
Competition # UNIFOR-22-05
Shift hours: Wednesday to Friday (2pm to 10pm)
and Saturday/Sunday (8am to 4pm)
When required, hours of work and location may be modified to suit the needs of the University
• Clean and maintain cleanliness standards in student housing.
• Participate in the moving and setup of furniture and equipment for Residence and Food
& Conference • Services functions on and off campus based on Action Sheets and Work
Orders provided by Food & Conference Services.
• Maintain conference locations on and off campus, outdoors or indoors, which could include
cleaning and movement of tables, chairs, conference equipment, refuse containers etc.
• Maintain inventories of supplies.
• Complete housekeeping turnovers for hotel/suite style accommodations.
• Clean and sanitize washrooms and replenish supplies as required.
• Dust and/or wash furnishings, desks, fixtures, walls, windows, conference equipment etc.
• Remove refuse and garbage from Residence buildings and conference set up locations,
clean waste containers and disposal units.
• Promptly report fire, vandalism, and other matters of an irregular nature to supervisor or to Security. • Participate in minor work tasks relative to the maintenance and repair of University buildings,
equipment and furniture and complete Residence Housekeeping work orders.
• Replace burned out lamps in Residence areas as required.
• Report all major hazards, repairs or alterations and service malfunctions for assignment to
the appropriate department.
• Maintain floors by mopping, vacuuming, washing, stripping and waxing using appropriate equipment.
• Participate in the removal of snow/ice from assigned building entrances and emergency exits.
• Work in compliance with the Occupational Health & Safety Act, WHMIS Regulation, other health
and safety related legislation and standards and with such workplace practices as outlined by
the immediate supervisor.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
• Minimum Grade 12 education.
• Experience in custodial, use of small hand tools.
• Must have a current, valid driver’s licence of the appropriate class, with a good driving record.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to meet the physical demands of the job, including lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling heavy
objects (occasionally over 100 lbs.), working at heights (scaffolding and ladders – may involve
heights above 20 feet), awkward positions, kneeling, and performing overhead work.
• General knowledge of recognized practices and safe work habits and techniques employed in
• Familiarity with the Occupational Health & Safety Act and its regulations and other health and safety
related legislation and standards.
• Ability to operate the appropriate machinery for the position (e.g. wet/dry vacuums, carpet extractors,
buffing machines, auto scrubbers, etc.).
• Aptitude for general maintenance functions (checking and cleaning connections, filling batteries, etc).
• Ability to deal courteously with staff, students and the general public.
• Proven good work record, attendance and punctuality.
A conditional offer of employment will be extended to the successful applicant. On evidence that a candidate is able to meet the physical demands of the essential duties of the job, as determined through the completion of a pre-employment screening, a final offer of employment will be extended to the candidate. The screening will be based on the Physical Demands Analysis (PDA) of the job. A copy of this will be available prior to interviews.
Interested applicants may apply by clicking on this link to a Google Form and attaching your cover letter and resume in word or PDF format by October 14, 2022.
If you have any technical difficulties in accessing the link, please reach out to email@example.com.
Lakehead University is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals including women, racialized persons, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and other equity-seeking groups. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. This is in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements.
We appreciate your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be notified. Lakehead University is committed to supporting an accessible environment. Please ask us how we may help you by contacting the Office of Human Resources, Lakehead University, (807) 343.8334 firstname.lastname@example.org.