Zoom is a web-based video-conferencing application that can be used for synchronous online classes and includes sharing abilities, collaboration features, break-out rooms, recording options, captioning and transcripts, and more.
Zoom is fully integrated with mycourselink meaning that class meetings can be scheduled and launched directly through course sites. Join links for scheduled sessions are automatically added to the course calendar for learners to easily access. If sessions are recorded to the Zoom cloud, links to these are also accessible through the course site.
To schedule a meeting in Zoom (through mycourselink)
- From the course site navbar, select Zoom from the Other Tools dropdown menu
- From the Zoom interface, click on the Schedule a New Meeting button in the top right
- Enter the meeting details (title, time, duration, etc.). (Some options are selected/unselected by default – review these carefully.)
- Once the meeting is scheduled, a link for students to join will automatically appear in the Calendar tool (on course homepage).
- To launch the meeting, go to Zoom through Other Tools When Zoom launches click the Start button to the right of the meeting title.
- Recordings to the Cloud are available under the Cloud Recordings tab through the Zoom link (under Other Tools). Students access the cloud recordings the same way.
- Recordings saved locally to a computer will need to be uploaded to a course site. (Tip: create a content folder titled Recorded Lectures - Note, transcripts are not available through this option).
For assistance setting up Zoom in mycourselink, email email@example.com
For general Zoom support, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Basic Meeting Controls
- Sharing Your Screen
- Break Out Rooms
- Recording Your Meeting
- Using the Whiteboard in Zoom
- Polling in Zoom
Note: Some of the features noted above will need to be enabled in Zoom first.
- Log in to https://lakeheadu.zoom.us/
- Click on the Settings link to the left of the screen.
- Click on In Meetings
- Toggle on the functionality you want to enable (toggle button to the right)
- Zoom Help Centre
- Zoom and Privacy Information
- How to Effectively Use Zoom to Provide an Interactive and Engaged Learning Experience to Students (Contact North webinar recording- Dr. Ron Owston, Contact North Associate)
- Zoom at Lakehead (TSC website)