The Work Study Program allows you to gain valuable, on-campus work experience during the academic year.
Work Study is a a program offered by Lakehead University to help you gain valuable work experience while earning additional funds to help support you with funding your education. Work Study is offered both during the Academic Year (September - April).
Benefits of the Work Study Program
As a Work Study student, you are an important part of the university community. Not only are you a student, but a valuable employee! The following are some additional benefits of working on-campus through Work Study:
- Valuable professional development opportunities at convenient on-campus locations.
- Jobs vary and, in most cases, you can find a position related to your field of study.
- Provides you with valuable life and work experience.
- Flexible hours that work around your school schedule.
- Additional funding to ensure you can fully fund your educational expenses.
Applying to Work Study Positions
To apply, you will find the application through mySuccess.lakeheadu.ca. The application will be open between August 16 until October 24. Login using your myInfo login information, then select “Jobs” --> “On Campus Work Study” --> “Eligibility Application” to apply. Get your application in sooner to ensure you get consideration for the position you want.
Frequently Asked Questions?
How much can I earn?
- The Work Study Program pays up to a maximum of $2,000 for the fall/winter session. This is based on a minimum of 242 hours worked from September – March. Hourly wages vary depending on the employer and type of work being done.
- OSAP students: you can earn up to $100/week (from all income sources) without your OSAP entitlement being affected.
What is the eligibility criteria?
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Must be an undergraduate student
- Must NOT be on academic probation
- Must be registered in a 60% course load (40% with a permanent disability)
- Must demonstrate financial need
Can I be approved for a position and then apply for Work Study?
No, you must receive approval before you apply for a Work Study position (not after).
How do I know if I have been approved?
Approved students will be sent a message to their Lakehead University email account with their Confirmation of Approval & Hiring Form attached. This form needs to be submitted to your employer upon successful hiring.
If I'm approved for Work Study, does this guarantee me a Work Study position?
No it does not guarantee you will receive employment. You will need to apply for the open positions and compete for them like you would with other job opportunities.
What are examples of past Work Study positions on campus?
- Student ambassador
- Computing and network technician
- Marketing assistant
- Assistant Researcher
- Assistant Translator
- University mascot
- Lab technician
- Information officer
- Administrative officer
- and MORE!