The Lakehead University Work Study Program (LUWSP) will help you gain valuable work experience while earning additional funds to help support you and your education. The LUWSP-FW is offered during the academic year (September - March).
As a LUWSP student, you are an important part of the university community. Not only are you a student, but a valuable employee! The following are some additional benefits of working through the LUWSP:
- Valuable professional development opportunities.
- Jobs vary and you may find a position related to your field of study.
- Provides valuable life and work experience.
- Flexible hours that work around your school schedule.
- Additional funding to ensure you can fully fund your educational expenses.
- Must be an undergraduate student (graduate students are ineligible)
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (international students are ineligible)
- Must have a minimum average of 60% in the previous academic year (high school, college or university)
- Must be a full-time student (fall & winter) registered in a minimum 60% course load (40% course load for students with a permanent disability)
- Must demonstrate financial need or be receiving Student Financial Aid from your province
- Must complete a 1 hour paid mandatory online work study training module
- Must apply for eligibility via the MySuccess portal each fall/winter session
- Students in a co-op work term or holding a current NSERC-USRA award are ineligible for LUWSP positions during that period
- Should a student resign from their work study position, they cannot be hired in another work study position.
How to Apply
If you meet the requirements above, apply for eligibility by completing the Fall/Winter Work Study Eligibility Application.
To apply, login to mySuccess.lakeheadu.ca using your myInfo login credentials.
From the Dashboard Messages, scroll down until you find FORMS> SUBMIT FORM: 2021/22 LUWSP- Fall/Winter Work Study Eligibility Application.
Apply early to ensure that you are considered for the position you want. Please check your form status on the MySuccess portal DASHBOARD> My Forms tab > VIEW. Only eligible students will be contacted by email.
- August 1 – October 15 annually: Eligibility Application opens
- August 16: Work Study jobs available to view and apply for
- October 22: Last day to be hired
- Work Term: August 29, 2021 – March 12, 2022
Additional Information & Resources
What can I earn?
The LUWSP-FW pays approximately $2,000 for the fall/winter session. This is based on a minimum of 190 hours worked from September – March (approx. 10 hours per week). Hourly wages vary depending on the employer and type of work being done.
OSAP students: You can earn up to $5,600 per term (from all income sources) without your OSAP entitlement being affected.
Can I hold multiple work study positions?
No, multiple work study positions are not allowed; however, you can hold another job that is not a work study job.
When should I apply for eligibility on the MySuccess portal?
Apply early! It takes 3-5 business days for your application to be reviewed (longer in high volume). To better your chances of being hired, provide potential employers with your Confirmation of Eligibility & Hiring Form when you apply or at the time of your interview. The portal is open from August 1 – October 15 annually.
How do I know if my Eligibility Application has been approved?
It will take 3-5 business days to be reviewed or longer in high volume times. Check your form status on the MySuccess portal DASHBOARD> My Forms tab > VIEW. Only eligible students will be contacted by email.
Approved students will be sent a message to their Lakehead University email account with their Confirmation of Eligibility & Hiring Form attached. This form must be submitted to your employer when applying for a LUWSP-FW job or at the time of your interview.
If I'm eligible for the Work Study Program, does this guarantee a work study position?
No, it does not guarantee you will receive a job offer. You will need to apply for work study positions and compete like you would for any other job opportunity.
What are examples of past Work Study positions?
- Assistant Researcher
- Lab Technician
- Student Ambassador or Tour Guide
- Marketing Assistant
- Information Officer
- Administrative Officer
- Student Central Greeter and MORE!