The Undergraduate Student Research Award (USRA) program offers an opportunity to nurture your interest and fully develop your potential for a research career in the natural sciences or in engineering. If you are thinking of continuing your studies at the graduate level, participation in the USRA program is a great way to explore advanced study in your field.
To be ELIGIBLE TO APPLY for an award, you must:
- be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada;
- be registered, at the time you apply, in a bachelor's degree program at an eligible university;
- have obtained, over the previous years of university level study, a cumulative average of at least second class (a grade of 75%).
To HOLD an award, you must:
- have completed all the course requirements of at least the first year of university study (or two academic terms) of your bachelor's degree;
- have been registered in the term immediately before holding the award in a bachelor’s degree program at an eligible university;
- have not started a program of graduate studies in the natural sciences or engineering;
- be engaged on a full-time basis in research and development activities in the natural sciences or engineering during tenure of the award (16 consecutive weeks); and,
- work under the supervision of a faculty member who holds an active NSERC research grant (e.g. Discovery, CREATE, Strategic, Research Partnerships), either at the time you submit the application or when you hold the award
If you would like to gain research work experience that complements your studies in an academic setting, this award is for you! The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) encourages qualified Indigenous students to apply for this award.