The Work Study Program allows you to gain valuable, on-campus work experience during the spring/summer months.
The Lakehead University Work Study Program (LUWSP) is a program offered by Lakehead University to help you gain valuable work experience while earning additional funds to help support you with funding your education. The LUWSP-SS runs from late-April to the end of August.
Benefits of the Work Study Program
As a LUWSP student, you are an important part of the university community. Not only are you a student, but a valuable employee! The following are some additional benefits of working on-campus through Work Study:
- Valuable professional development opportunities at convenient on-campus locations.
- Jobs vary and, in most cases, you can find a position related to your field of study.
- Provides you with valuable life and work experience.
- Flexible hours that work around your school schedule.
- Additional funding to ensure you can fully fund your educational expenses
Eligibility for Work Study Positions
Eligibility Application (eligibility criteria found below):
If you meet the requirements, apply for eligibility. To apply, you will find the Eligibility Application through the mySuccess.lakeheadu.ca portal. The application is open from March 1 – mid May annually.
To apply, login using your myInfo login information, then from the Dashboard select Job Bank & Volunteer Postings > Work Study Program (LUWSP-SS) > Eligibility Application. Apply early to ensure that you are considered for the position you want. You will receive an email within 3-5 business days regarding your eligibility to apply for the LUWSP-SS job positions.
All LUWSP approved students must attend a paid mandatory training workshop as part of the eligibility requirements each time hired. Failure to complete the training will deem you ineligible for the program.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much can I earn?
- The LUWSP-SS pays up to a maximum of $2,250 for the spring/summer session with the employer paying the rest. This is based on a minimum of 480 hours worked from April - August. Hourly wages vary depending on the employer and type of work being done but is a minimum of 30-35 hours per week.
- OSAP students: You can earn up to $5,600 during this term (from all income sources) without your OSAP entitlement being affected.
- Students can hold one LUWSP-SS position; multiple positions are not allowed
- Work Term: April 20 to August 29, 2020
What is the eligibility criteria?
- Must be an undergraduate student (graduate students are ineligible)
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (international students are ineligible)
- Must have a minimum average of 60% in the previous academic year (high school, college or university)
- Must have been registered in a minimum 60% course load (40% course load for students with a permanent disability) in the fall/winter term
- Must demonstrate financial need, or received Student Financial Aid from your province in the fall/winter or have been approved for LUWSP in the fall/winter
- Must be returning in September as a full-time undergraduate student, or beginning as a new graduate student (current graduate students are ineligible)
Can I be approved for a position and then apply for Work Study?
No, your eligibility must be approved before you are hired in a LUWSP-SS position.
How do I know if I have been approved?
Approved students will be sent a message to their Lakehead University email account with their Confirmation of Approval for Work Study Program form attached. This form must be submitted to your employer when applying for a LUWSP-SS job or at the time of your interview.
If I'm eligible for the LUWSP, does this guarantee me a job position?
No, having approved eligibility it does not guarantee that you will receive employment. You will need to apply for the open positions and compete for them like you would with other job opportunities.
What are examples of past LUWSP positions on campus?
- Assistant Researcher
- Lab Technician
- Student Ambassador or Tour Guide
- Marketing Assistant
- Information Officer
- Administrative Officer
- Student Central Greeter and MORE!