Spend your summer working full-time gaining both work experience and earning additional funds.
Similar to the Work Study program offered during the academic year, the Summer Work Study provides you with an opportunity to work full time at the university over the summer months. The Summer Work Study program runs from mid-April to the start of September.
Benefits of the Work Study Program
As a Work Study student, you are an important part of the university community. Not only are you a student, but a valuable employee! The following are some additional benefits of working on-campus through Work Study:
- Valuable professional development opportunities at convenient on-campus locations.
- Jobs vary and, in most cases, you can find a position related to your field of study.
- Provides you with valuable life and work experience.
- Flexible hours that work around your school schedule.
- Additional funding to ensure you can fully fund your educational expenses.
Applying to Work Study Positions
To apply, you will find the application through mySuccess.lakeheadu.ca. The application will be open between March 5 - June 16. Login using your myInfo login information, then select “Jobs” --> “On Campus Work Study” --> “Eligibility Application” to apply. Get your application in sooner to ensure you get consideration for the position you want.
Frequently Asked Questions?
How much can I earn?
- Hourly wages vary depending on the employer and type of work being done. Most students are employed full-time over the summer months.
What is the eligibility criteria?
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Must NOT be on academic probation
- Must have been registered in a minimum 60% course load (40% with a permanent disability) for the 2017FW term
- Must demonstrate financial need
- Must be returning in September 2018 as a full-time undergraduate student, or beginning as a new graduate student (current graduate students are ineligible)
Can I be approved for a position and then apply for Work Study?
No, you must receive approval before you apply for a Work Study position (not after).
How do I know if I have been approved?
Approved students will be sent a message to their Lakehead University email account with their Confirmation of Approval & Hiring Form attached. This form needs to be submitted to your employer upon successful hiring.
If I'm approved for Work Study, does this guarantee me a Work Study position?
No it does not guarantee you will receive employment. You will need to apply for the open positions and compete for them like you would with other job opportunities.
What are examples of past Work Study positions on campus?
- Student ambassador
- Computing and network technician
- Marketing assistant
- Assistant Researcher
- Assistant Translator
- University mascot
- Lab technician
- Information officer
- Administrative officer
- and MORE!