The Lakehead University Work Study Program (LUWSP) is a program offered by Lakehead University to help you gain valuable work experience while earning additional funds to help support you with funding your education. The LUWSP-SS runs from late-April to the end of August.
Benefits of the Work Study Program
As a LUWSP student, you are an important part of the university community. Not only are you a student, but a valuable employee! The following are some additional benefits of working on-campus through Work Study:
- Valuable professional development opportunities
- Jobs vary and, in most cases, you can find a position related to your field of study
- Provides you with valuable life and work experience
- Flexible hours that work around your school schedule
- Additional funding to ensure you can fully fund your educational expenses
Eligibility for Work Study Positions
- Eligibility Application: (Eligibility Criteria Found Below)
If you meet the requirements, apply for eligibility. To apply, complete the Work Study Program (LUWSP-SS) Eligibility Application using the mySuccess.lakeheadu.ca portal.
To apply, login to the MySuccess portal using your myInfo login credentials. From the Dashboard Messages, scroll down until you find FORMS> SUBMIT FORM: 2021 LUWSP- Spring/Summer Work Study Eligibility Application. Apply early to ensure that you are considered for the position you want. Please check your form status on the MySuccess portal DASHBOARD> My Forms tab > VIEW. Only eligible students will be contacted by email.
- Mandatory Training:
All LUWSP approved students must complete a mandatory online training module as part of the eligibility requirements each time hired. Failure to complete the training will deem you ineligible for the program.
- Eligibility Application Portal: Open March 1 – May 12
- LUWSP-SS Jobs Available to View: March 1
- Work Term: April 26, 2021 - August 28, 2021
Frequently Asked Questions
How much can I earn?
- The LUWSP-SS is based on a minimum of 480 hours worked from April - August. Hourly wages vary depending on the employer and type of work being done with a minimum of 30-35 hours per week.
- Students can hold one LUWSP-SS position; multiple positions are not allowed
- OSAP students: You can earn up to $5,600 during this term (from all income sources) without your OSAP entitlement being affected.
What is the eligibility criteria?
- Must be an undergraduate student (graduate students are ineligible)
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (international students are ineligible)
- Must have a minimum term average of 60%
- Must have been registered in a minimum 60% course load (40% course load for students with a permanent disability) in the fall/winter term at Lakehead University
- Must demonstrate financial need, or received Student Financial Aid from your province in the fall/winter or have been approved for LUWSP in the fall/winter
- Must be returning in September as a full-time undergraduate student, or beginning as a new graduate student (current graduate students are ineligible)
Can I apply for a job before completing the Eligibility Application?
It is recommended that you upload your Confirmation of Eligibility & Hiring Form when you apply for a LUWSP-SS job; however, it will depend on the job posting requirements. You can not be hired until you have been approved for the program.
How do I know if I have been approved?
Approved students will be sent a message to their Lakehead University email account with their Confirmation of Approval for Work Study Program form attached. This form must be submitted to your employer when applying for a LUWSP-SS job or at the time of your interview.
If I'm eligible for the LUWSP, does this guarantee me a job position?
No, having approved eligibility it does not guarantee that you will receive employment. You will need to apply for the open positions and compete for them like you would with other job opportunities.
What are examples of past LUWSP positions on campus?
- Research Assistant
- Lab Technician
- Student Ambassador or Tour Guide
- Marketing Assistant
- Information Officer
- Administrative Officer
- Student Central Greeter and MORE!