An important part of being a successful teacher is constantly developing your own professional knowledge and skills. By advancing your own abilities, you will be able to meet the needs of learners more effectively as well as improve your in-school leadership.
Resources for Professional Development
The Faculty of Education and other organizations offer professional development opportunities that will help you and your future or current students. Some of these opportunities include the following:
- Lakehead University’s Department of Professional Development Department (offers OCT certified Additional Qualification Courses as well as many other learning opportunities)
- Ontario College of Teachers (OCT): Additional Qualifications
- Ontario Ministry of Education: Supporting Teaching Excellence
- Ontario Teachers’ Federation (OTF): Learning
- Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario (ETFO): Resources
- Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation (OSSTF): PD/Training
- Ontario English Catholic Teachers Association (OECTA): Additional Qualification (AQ) Courses
Furthering your education is an important way to improve your pedagogical abilities and knowledge. By completing a Master of Education degree (MEd) or a Joint PhD in Educational Studies, you will have the knowledge and experience to improve student learning, help generate new knowledge, and become an educational leader.
For more information about our MEd or Joint PhD in Educational Studies program, use the following resources: