How Can I Help a Student?

Healthy students are better positioned for the transition into University life and to experience success in their academic and personal pursuits. As such, we encourage you, members of Lakehead's Faculty and Staff, to explore this section.

  • If you suspect that a student is in need of medical and/or mental health support, you may refer them to  Student Health and Wellness (Thunder Bay) or the Wellness Centre (Orillia).

  • If you feel a student is in need of accessibility supports, you may refer them to Student Accessibility Services

  • The Student Success Centre helps students develop the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in their academics and future professional career. If you suspect that a student in your class is having difficulties with academic skills such as time management, taking class notes, and study skills; needing a tutor or writing coach; wanting to be more involved on campus or connected to the community; or looking to explore their career options, please advise them to visit the Student Success Centre and set up an appointment with a Student Success Advisor. For instructions on how to book appointments, please visit:

  • If you wish to learn more about mental health problems and how you can help, we invite you to consider taking the Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) training offered at Lakehead University.
    • For more information, please contact Shannon Foster (Residence).

  • More Feet on the Ground is a website provided by the Council of Ontario Universities to provide institutions ... "with tools to support students experiencing mental health issues". The institutional versions also provide information about local campus and off-campus/community resources.

  • If you are concerned about a student's safety, please contact Security and/or the Vice-Provost, Student Affairs (Thunder Bay) /Director, Student Affairs (Orillia) and/or your Chair/Dean/supervisor.