Many institutions are setting up comprehensive risk management policies and plans to enhance their operations and the discharge of their ethical and legal responsibilities to their clients and staff. This initiative aims at promoting the potentially positive outcomes of the numerous and multi-faceted risks confronting and undertaken by institutions, and at reducing potential hazards and their consequences – thereby reducing as well legal and insurance costs. Governments in some countries, such as England and Australia, have mandated that their universities establish risk management plans. At Lakehead University, individual departments have over the years set up a number of such policies and plans. The Office of Risk Management and Access to Information, which reports to the Vice-President (Administration and Finance), has been charged with reviewing and fostering existing risk management operations and initiatives, and coordinating the establishment of a comprehensive system for the whole University.
- Risk Management Planning & Approval Form for Special Events ON Campus
- Risk Management Planning & Approval Form for Special Events OFF Campus
- Basic Risk Management for Field Trips
- Basic Insurance & Other Risk Management Guidelines for Travel Off-Campus
- Request for Certificate of Insurance
- Financial Services' Web Page on Travel Expenses & Travel Policies