What is a Chapter?
Officially recognized by the University as part of the Alumni Association of Lakehead University, a Chapter is an independent entity that has underlying loyalty and connection to Lakehead. The Alumni Association is there to serve their needs. There is a two-way relationship and partnership between the Alumni Association of Lakehead University and its Branches and Chapters.
How Do Chapters Serve Lakehead University and its Alumni Association?
Lakehead University Alumni Chapters serve Alumni By:
- Providing opportunities for alumni to socialize, learn and network.
- Helping alumni retain their connection to their alma mater by keeping them informed about major events at Lakehead and/or by simply providing the opportunity for alumni to share memories of their years at the University.
- Organizing fun-filled events and activities for alumni to enjoy in their community.
- Providing alumni the means to serve their alma mater in a meaningful way.
Objectives of the Chapter Program
The Alumni Association has specific objectives regarding the goals of a chapter. These range from:
- encouraging alumni and friends to be involved in Lakehead
- providing opportunities for social and professional networking activities among alumni and friends of the University.
Liz Murray, Calgary Chapter President
|Greater Toronto Area|
Jocelyne Poirier, GTA Chapter President
During my time at Lakehead, I held various executive roles on student committees and participated in multiple national case competitions. This involvement in the Lakehead community earned me the gratitude of the University, for which I was awarded the President’s Award upon graduation. Since graduating Lakehead with an HBComm, majoring in Accounting, I have held progressive roles in corporate accounting and finance, and am currently the Controller of a Toronto-based venture capital investment firm. I became President of the GTA Chapter in January 2019, and have enjoyed working with the alumni relations team and fellow alumni chapter members to develop meaningful experiences for alumni in the area.
Christopher Cumming, Ottawa Chapter President
Andrew Petras, Simcoe County Chapter President
I graduated from the Orillia campus in 2013 out of the Business program. I currently work as a Certified Financial Planner with Investors Group. I am an avid skier and love the outdoors.
Our chapter has been growing yearly and we are always looking for new people who want to get involved. Please reach out if you would like any more information on our chapter.
Francis Clayton, Wrestling Chapter President
Interested in starting a Chapter?
What's involved in starting your own Chapter? The Office of Alumni and Community Relations at Lakehead has an extensive outline provided in the Branches and Chapters Manual. For more information please visit the Start a Chapter page