Professional Development in Education
Please Note: All of our online programs will continue to run during the COVID-19 pandemic. Face-to-face components of courses will be facilitated through distance conferencing technology. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Lakehead University’s Department of Professional Development in Education has been providing the highest quality ongoing professional learning opportunities for teachers for over 25 years.
As part of the Faculty of Education, we provide relevant, high-quality professional development courses that cover many educational topics. Our goal is to provide meaningful and rich learning to Ontario certified teachers and other educators.
Interested in Professional Development?
We offer a wide variety of AQ courses that meet the needs of teachers and learners at every stage of their career and education. Each AQ course at Lakehead falls into a specific category based on its requirements, awarded qualifications, and subject matter.
The following provides an overview of the categories of our AQ courses:
- Additional Qualification courses help certified teachers to improve their subject matter knowledge, program development, curriculum leadership, and teaching skills
- Lakehead University awards a full credit equivalent (1.0 FCE) in Education for any completed AQ, ABQ, or HSQ course.
- The pass mark for all Additional Qualification courses is 70%
- For a complete schedule of all our AQ, ABQ, and HSQ courses, see our Additional Qualification Course Schedule
- The Principal’s Qualification Program introduces experienced teachers to the fundamental aspects of leading and managing a school as a principal
- This program is of interest to experienced principals or other school leaders who would like to transition into board leadership
Find and Register for a Course or Program
To find and register for a course or program, please use the following database. For information about a specific course or program, such as how to register, its costs, and prerequisites, click the course title.
To find a specific course by name or topic, please use the Search tool; to narrow your search please indicate the Course Type.