There are many sources of funding for students applying for university. Some can be found through the Student Awards and Financial Aid website. There are also awards specifically created to assist students with disabilities.

The Disability Awards website was created to help post-secondary students search hundreds of scholarships available across Canada specifically for students with disabilities. Students can search by province, school and disability type to find scholarships that are applicable to their specific profile.

Disabled World Scholarships

Disabled World is another website that lists awards and scholarships available to students with disabilities. They have a large list of general scholarships, and separate pages that list awards for specific disabilities.

Learning Disabilities Association of Ontario Roy Cooper Memorial Scholarship
Learning Disabilities Association of Ontario (LDAO) Roy Cooper Memorial Scholarship

Contact your local LDAO branch for an application.

LDA Simcoe County. Tel: (705) 726-5533, E-mail:

LDA Thunder Bay. Tel: (807) 345-6595 ext. 160, E-mail:

National Educational Association of Disabled Students Awards Program

National Educational Association of Disabled Students (NEADS) - National Student Awards Program offers multiple awards to encourage full access to post-secondary education for persons with disabilities, who often have greater barriers to participation in higher education, as well as extra costs because of their disabilities. 

Canadian Hearing Services National Scholarship Program

Canadian Hearing Services National Scholarship Programhelps break down financial barriers to post-secondary education for Deaf and hard of hearing students who are often excluded from the full academic experience because of added accessibility costs.

Bursary for Students With Disabilities (BSWD

The Bursary for Students With Disabilities helps full and part-time postsecondary students with the costs of their disability-related educational services and equipment and/or devices. By submitting a BSWD/CSG-PDSE application, you may receive assistance for the disability-related accommodations you need, such as note-takers, tutors, interpreters or technical aids while you're in postsecondary studies.

In order to be eligible to receive the BSWD Student Accessibility Services requires documentation of a disability. The documentation must support disability needs which would result in eligible expenses for equipment, services and/or devices. In addition, the student must meet the financial need requirements. A student does not need to negotiate a student loan but must apply to the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) to prove eligibility. 
Additional Information on OSAP can be found on the Student Awards and Financial Aid website

Students in Special Circumstances can also receive specific OSAP information for their needs 
You can apply for the BSWD from the first day of class. To apply for the BSWD, book an appointment with Student Accessibility Services on your campus;

Thunder Bay:
Nancy Cahill, Manager
Email: to book an appointment.

Danielle Poeta, Accessibility and Academic Skills Advisor
Email to book an appointment