How to Register With SAS

STEP 1: Gather and Submit Documentation

Each semester, after registering for your classes email, fax or drop off your documentation of a permanent or temporary disability and/or medical condition to the office of Student Accessibility Services (SAS).

Documentation Guidelines - Instructions on who can provide documentation of a disability or medical condition and what needs to be included in the form.

Medical Documentation Form - a fillable pdf that can be printed or emailed to your care provider to ensure we receive all the information we need.

If you have a Learning Disability, ADHD and/or Autism Spectrum Disorder provide the following:
  • Psychological Assessment, signed by a registered psychologist this must be current (completed within the last four years or when the student was over the age of 18; please contact us with questions or if clarification is required).
  • If you need to update your assessment, the staff of Student Accessibility Services can assist with the arrangements.
If you are coming from high school provide the following:
  • Individual Education Plan (IEP) from your secondary school.
  • Minutes from the Identification, Placement and Review Committee (IPRC) from your secondary school.
If you are coming from another post-secondary institution provide the following:
  • A copy of your most recent Accommodation Form / Accommodation Plan.
If you have a disability and/or medical condition (ABI, Hearing, Medical, Mobility,
Psychiatric, Vision, etc) provide the following:
  • A completed Medical Documentation Form (available from Student Accessibility Services) signed by a certified, licensed medical practitioner qualified to diagnose the disability / medical condition (physician, clinical psychologist, psychiatrist, neurologist, audiologist, ophthalmologist, etc.).
  • Hearing disability should also include: audiologist report, use of assistive devices (hearing aids, FM systems).
  • Vision disability should also include: visual acuity test, visual field limitations.

* Note, mental health disabilities/conditions: students with functional limitations that impair academic functioning may request interim accommodations pending the submission of disability documentation.

If you are unsure whether you have enough documentation or the right documentation, please contact our office to discuss further.

STEP 2: Contact the Office of Student Accessibility Services

Make an appointment to meet with a staff member. The staff member will be able
to advise you regarding any further documentation that may be required and
answer any questions. Your initial meeting may be in advance of the start of the
academic semester.

SAS meetings are currently being booked by phone or email when possible. If you require an in person appointment, we are happy to accommodate you.

STEP 3: Set Up Accommodations

Once you have confirmed your timetable, make a second appointment
with the staff of Student Accessibility Services.

Bring your list of courses, complete with professor's names, to this appointment.
You are able to print this from: MyInfo > My Schedule or Drop Classes.

During this appointment your Confidential Accommodation Form will be completed. This form must be completed in order for you to receive your academic accommodations through SAS. Student Accessibility Services will send the completed form to all the relevant professors.

Points to Remember
  • It is the student's responsibility to initiate all involvement with Student Accessibility Services.
  • Students with disabilities must meet the academic requirements of each course or program. Ensure you have read the requirements in the University Calendar and contact the Faculty if you have any questions.
  • Academic accommodations are determined on the basis of the functional limitations indicated within the student's medical/psychological documentation.
  • Accommodations are meant to remove barriers and level the playing field for students with disabilities and/or medical conditions.
  • SAS considers the privacy and confidentiality of students to be of paramount importance.
  • Academic accommodations must be set for each term. Students are responsible for initiating the appointment for each term they require academic accommodations.

Contact Student Accessibility Services with any questions:

Thunder Bay Campus:
SC0003 (tunnel level of the Student Centre)
Telephone: (807) 343-8047
Fax: (807) 346-7733

Orillia Campus:
OA 1030 (Orillia Academic Building)
Telephone: (705) 330-4010 ext. 2103
Fax: (705) 329-4035

Here is a PDF copy of this information