Things You Need To Know

Cleaning & Maintaining Your Space


Residence Halls

Please place your trash into any of the large garbage cans located in your Residence Hall House. Garbage bags are available at the Residence Front Desk, free of charge. 

Apartment and Townhouse Students

Bags of trash are to be place in the large blue garbage bins located outside the building. Please do not leave bags of garbage outside your apartment or townhouse unit as this encourages unwanted visits from the local wildlife population. There will be a charge of $25.00 per bag for removal of garbage left on the doorstep, in townhouse yards or in the apartment complex common areas. Garbage bags are available at the Residence Front Desk, free of charge. 


All Residence Halls, Apartments and Townhouses are supplied with "Blue Boxes" for recycling item collection. Additionally, clear plastic bags are available at the Residence Front Desk for recycling collection and disposal. 

What Can I Recycle

The following items may be recycled in Thunder Bay:

  • In one recycling blue bag, please put all:
    newspaper, junk mail, flyers, cereal boxes, fine paper, soft cover books and magazines
  • In a separate recycling blue bag, please put all:
    pop cans, tetra packs, milk cartons, metal cans, glass containers, and any #1 PET or #2 HDPE plastic bottles
  • Corrugated cardboard and clean pizza boxes may be bundled together and put out with any recycling bags for pick up

For more information please see the Sorting Out the Depots.

What to Do With Your Recycling

Residence Hall Students

Recycling containers are provided in each Residence house. Please place recyclable items in the designated containers. Residence Housekeeping staff will regularly collect recyclable items from these containers.

Townhouse Students

There are two designated recycling bins in each townhouse area which are located as follows:

  • Deer Lake Ridge: Across from the laundry room, near the existing garbage bin
  • North Spirit Heights: Beside the laundry room, near Keewatin houses
  • Bearskin Lake: Between Lansdowne houses and Rocky Bay houses, on the edge of the circle 

Recyclables should be sorted into two groups:

  1. Recyclable plastic containers 
  2. Paper and cardboard products 

Plastic containers and paper should be placed in clear plastic recycling bags (available at the Bartley Residence Front Desk) and placed into the recycling bins in your area. Cardboard products can go directly into the recycling bin and does not need to be bagged.

Apartment Students

Items to be recycled are to be sorted in the recycling areas of each apartment lounge.  From here recycling is removed by Residence Housekeeping staff.

Battery Recycling

Common household type batteries such as A, AA, AAA, 9v, C/D cell, laptop batteries, cell phone batteries, cordless phone, and rechargeable batteries may be dropped off for recycling at various locations around campus.

  • Residence Front Desk
  • Residence Operations Office
  • Campus Tech
  • Lakehead University Student Union (LUSU)

Recycling Print Cartridges/Cell Phones

Are you about to toss your print cartridge or cell phone into the garbage? STOP! We have recycling for that too. Please bring these items to one of the following convenient locations for recycling:

  • Residence Front Desk
  • Campus Tech
  • Card operated laundry facilities are provided in all residences. Washers and dryers cost $3.00 per wash and $2.50 per dry.
  • Students will be given laundry cards which can be loaded at Value Centres located at the Bartley Residence main entrance and the Bearskin Lake laundry room.  The Value Centres are easy to use and accept debit card, Visa, Mastercard and cash.  There is a $4.50 charge for lost laundry cards and new cards can be redeemed at the Kiosk in the Bartley Lobby.
  • Please note that the use of the laundry facilities is at your own risk. The Department of Residence will not be responsible for damaged, stolen or lost articles of clothing. Any items left abandoned in laundry rooms will be removed and placed in the Residence lost and found at the Residence Front Desk.
  • Detergent must be supplied by residents.
  • Please notify the Residence Front Desk of any malfunctioning washers and dryers or if there are any problems with the Value Centre. 
  • Check laundry machine status or availability and your laundry card balance at
    You can even have your laundry text you once it is done!

Who Cleans My Room and Living Space?

Your Room

Housekeeping services are not provided in student rooms, townhouse and apartment units. Residents are responsible for keeping their own rooms, apartments and townhouses clean in accordance with the Residence Cleanliness Standard.  Each Residence House, apartment unit and townhouse unit come equipped with a vacuum for student use.

If something is in need of repair, please submit an online work order.

Residence Hall & Apartment Common Areas

It is expected that all common living areas will be kept clean and will be treated with consideration and respect for all students and visitors. The common areas of Residence (hallways, lounges, washrooms, etc.) are a joint responsibility of all residents and Residence Caretaking staff.  Daily custodial services are provided in all common areas.  Please note that residents may be invoiced for any extraordinary cleaning required in their common areas.

Apartment and Townhouse Units

Apartment and townhouse units are inspected monthly and students are advised if their unit is in an unacceptable state.  The students are given a period of time to clean their area.  If left uncleaned the cost of cleaning will be assessed to the student(s).

Bed Bugs

Bed bugs, even the suspicion of, requires immediate action by all those who are involved to ensure they are dealt with completely. 


In the event you suspect bed bugs, please ensure the following is complied with:

1. Any resident who is concerned with having bed bugs should immediately report the concern to Residence Operations by submitting a work order or calling the Residence Front Desk.  After hours residents can call Security and have the RA-on-call paged.

2. The Residence Operations Manager or appropriate designate will meet with the residents affected to review the following information (within 24 hours):

a) Bed bugs are not a health threat and have not been shown to spread disease.

b) Residents are advised to attend Student Health Services for an assessment and treatment (itching or irritation associated with bug bites.)

c) Advise the resident that their cooperation is imperative in us being able to successfully eradicate the problem and control it from spreading.

d) Within 24 hours a certified Pest Control Technician will inspect the room and begin treatments. 

e) Provide Student Responsibility to the resident.

f) In some cases the Manager or Residence & Facilities or appropriate designate will meet with the adjoining occupants and arrange inspection to ensure the problem is limited to the reported area.

Student Responsibility

1. Report possible bed bug concern as soon as possible


3. Place all clothing and bedding including pillows or any other items made of material in large plastic bags (supplied by Residence Front Desk.)  Label the bags “dirty” and tie off the bags to take to the laundry room.  Wash and dry everything.

4. Note: Clean items do not need to be washed but should be put in the dryer on high heat for a minimum of twenty (20) minutes.  This will kill any bugs.

5. Clean up general clutter from around room and leave all suitcases and bags (backpacks, handbags, book bags, etc.) open on the floor as these will be sprayed as well.

6. All corrugated cardboard should be discarded directly to the cardboard recycling bins outside around residence.

7. Ensure all dresser drawers, desk drawers, closets and bed drawers are emptied and left open for spraying.

8. Once items have been washed it is very important that all items be placed in clean plastic bags and that the bags used previously are thrown out.  Label these bags as “clean.”

9. Do not put bags back in the room or on the bed until the room has been treated.

10. The resident will vacate the room for the necessary time to complete treatment. (Approximately 6 hours.)

11. Residents are responsible for laundry costs. Residence does not reimburse students for any costs associated with bedbugs and/or preparation for treatment. 

12. Residents may be held responsible for costs of eradication should the previous responsibilities not be fulfilled.

What To Do When Repairs Are Needed

A Definition of Work Order

A work order is a request or notice to have maintenance completed in a residence room, house and/or common area. Work orders may be requested and submitted online. Please be as specific as possible when submitting your work orders.

Procedures for Residence Room Work Orders

Every effort will be made to notify students a minimum of one day in advance should maintenance personnel need to access their respective rooms. However, Residence reserves the right to enter rooms should the associated repair need immediate attention.

Whenever a Residence staff member must enter a student's room for the purpose of completing a work order, a notice will be placed on the door after the work is completed.

Please note that during the winter break, maintenance inspections will be carried out throughout all of the residence buildings with staff members entering all rooms.

If You Have Work Order Concerns

Any concerns regarding work orders are to be directed to Residence Operations at extension 8024.

A Note about Common/Lounge Areas

Do not assume that someone else has already submitted a work order for repairs in a lounge or common area. If you notice work that needs to be completed in either of these areas, please submit a work order.

Examples of When a Work Order is Needed
  • clogged toilet(s)
  • plugged sink(s)
  • leaking fridge(s)
  • malfunctioning or inoperative stove(s)/oven(s)
  • empty or near empty soap, toilet paper or paper towel dispenser(s) in the Residence Hall and/or public washrooms
  • malfunctioning or inoperative vacuum(s)
  • desk drawer(s) that do not slide properly
  • broken chair(s)
  • burnt out light bulb(s) in a lounge area
  • door(s) that do not close properly
  • inoperative or sticky locks
  • area(s) that require sand or salt
  • a cleanup of vomit in a stairwell
  • washer/dryer issues
  • cable/internet/telephone problems

Bicycles and Vehicles

What About My Bicycle?

Bicycles must be stored in designated bicycle shelters. Please note that all bicycles stored in the provided shelters must be registered with the Residence Front Desk.  It is recommended that all bicycles should be locked when they are unattended.  Please make sure that your bicycle is insured against loss or theft.  Lakehead University Residence is not responsible for damaged or stolen bicycles.

Any bicycles secured to benches, picnic tables, light posts, trees, etc. will be considered abandoned and will be removed.

My Vehicle

Residence has ample parking for students who have vehicles.  All vehicles parked on Lakehead University property require a parking permit from Security ServicesPlug-in posts are available in residence parking lots.

Other Services for Your Convenience

Vending Machines

For light snacks, vending machines are located in Bartley and Halliday Hall Residences.  Please notify the Residence Front Desk of any malfunctioning vending machines.  Refund requests for vending machine malfunction can be made at the Residence Front Desk.  

Vending machines can be found in Bartley, Halliday Hall and Apartments.  Any problems that occur with a vending machine in Residence please contact Coke directly at 1-800-218-2653.


An ATM is located inside the main entrance of Bartley Residence.