Obtaining employment is a task that many students struggle with. Below are some tips to help ensure that you are successful in your job search.
- Dress for success.
- Do not restrict yourself to online applications.
- Modify your resume and cover letter to fit each individual job application. Focus on keywords/skills that are required for the position, and make it clear how you not only fulfill these requirements, but how you are the best candidate for the job.
- Build your network, and communicate with your contacts.
- When searching for jobs online, search for positions using keywords related to the position that you would like, rather than position titles.
- Be an active job searcher!
- Maintain records of all jobs to which you have applied, or been interviewed for
- Know where you would like to work.
- Know what positions you are interested in working.
- Stay up-to-date on recent news and events in your industry.
- Check your online presence for any content (posts, pictures, etc.) that may negatively impact your job search.
- Follow up after interviews and networking events.
- Be positive!
If you would like further assistance with your job search or career exploration, please visit the CareerZone webpage for resources or check the programming calendar on https://mysuccess.lakeheadu.ca
For additional information please contact the Employer Relations & Co-op Advisor:
- Phone: 807-343-8010 ex. 7190
- Email: email@example.com