OSAP Academic probation is a review of your academic year to ensure that you continue to meet the academic requirements of OSAP. This process is independent from the Lakehead University academic standing review done by your program chair, and is a requirement from the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development.
You will be placed on OSAP academic probation if you meet any of the following Ministry defined criteria:
- You do not achieve a passing grade (60%) in at least a 60% course load (40% course load for students with a permanent disability).
- You drop below the minimum 60% course load (40% course load for students with a permanent disability) in any semester that you have received OSAP funding.
- You do not meet satisfactory progression in your current year of study (e.g. if you repeat a year, if you frequently change programs, if you repeat many courses).
What is a 60% course load or 40% course load at Lakehead University?
You must be registered in at least 1.5 Full Course Equivalents (FCE) in each semester that you are receiving OSAP funding at Lakehead University (1 FCE for students with a permanent disability, as recorded by OSAP).
I’m on OSAP Academic Probation, now what?
If you have been placed on OSAP Academic probation you can still receive OSAP funding but you must upload a completed form acknowledging and declaring the following information:
- You understand that to remain eligible for OSAP, you need to successfully complete a 60% course load (or 40% if you self-identified as having a permanent disability for OSAP purposes) each year you receive funding.
- You will take the necessary steps to improve your academic progress for the current academic year.
- You understand that if you fail to successfully maintain satisfactory academic progress for the current academic year, you may be restricted from OSAP for a minimum of one year.
- You will contact your financial aid office if you have any questions about the minimum academic standard required to remain eligible for OSAP consideration.
To quickly and easily complete your OSAP Acknowledgement of Academic Probation requirement, simply download the OSAP Acknowledgement of Academic Probation form below. Then, review and complete the form, and upload ALL pages of the document to your OSAP account where it will be reviewed by our Student Central staff.
You must complete a full academic year (August - July) on probation before your status is reviewed. If you are unable to maintain the complete criteria, as listed above, two years in a row then you will be placed on Academic Restriction. This means that you will not be able to receive OSAP funding for one full year. During this time you must keep your loans in good standing, which may include making payments towards your student loans. If you need help in making payments please review options on the loan repayment webpage.