Welcome to Ask Student Central

Back to Ask Student Central

Our best answer: How do I apply as a mature student?

Before applying as a mature student, you must first ensure that you meet our definition of a mature student. We define a mature student as a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who has not been engaged in full-time studies for at least two years, has completed less than one year at a community college, has never attended a University, and does not meet the general admission requirements (e.g. high school diploma, admissions average, and/or prerequisite courses). If you meet this definition, you may be classified as a mature student.

If you are interested in applying for full-time studies, you can submit an online application to Lakehead University using the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC). To ensure that you select the correct application, you are encouraged to use the OUAC’s Application Selection Tool. Once you submit your online application, the OUAC will send us all of your details.

If you are interested in part-time studies, or if you are a previous Lakehead University student interested in full-time studies, you can submit an online application using Lakehead University’s Undergraduate Application. If you are a previous Lakehead University student and are interested in applying to the One-Year Honours Bachelor of Social Work program or the Two-Year Bachelor of Education program, you must use the OUAC applications (e.g. Undergrad 105 Application or the Teaching Application).   

Upon receiving your application details from the OUAC or from our Undergraduate Application, you will be sent an Acknowledgement Email which contains your student information portal (e.g. myInfo) login credentials and post application process instructions. For the OUAC applicants, your email is normally sent out a week after you apply as it takes time for the OUAC to send us your application details. For the Undergraduate Application applicants, your email should be sent out immediately after submitting your application.

You are required to have official copies of your transcripts sent from each institution you have attended to Enrolment Services - Undergraduate Admissions. If you apply using the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC), you are strongly encouraged to use the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre’s transcript request function which may allow you to send your official transcript(s) electronically. The transcript request function can be assessed during the application process. If you cannot send us a transcript electronically, please have your institution mail us your official transcript in a sealed envelope. Our mailing address is:

Lakehead University

Enrolment Services - Undergraduate Admissions

955 Oliver Road

Thunder Bay, ON

P7B 5E1

Regarding the admission requirements for a mature student, you must complete the required program-specific prerequisite requirements for your university program(s) of interest. For a listing of the prerequisites by program, please click here. You must also achieve an overall average of at least 70% in the required prerequisite courses. Obtaining a 70% average does not guarantee admission as some more competitive programs (e.g. Nursing) require higher averages for admission consideration. You may also be required to complete a Mature Student Profile form at the request of the Admissions Officer.