The Vector Institute, based in Toronto, is one of the world’s top research institutes in machine learning (ML) and deep learning (DL). The daily life and concentration of expertise at Vector fosters a network of over 500 researchers and potential collaborators. Researchers at Vector work with industry sponsors as well as universities and other public institutions to support the artificial intelligence (AI) ecosystem in Ontario.
The primary goal of the Vector Institute Postgraduate Affiliate Program is to foster collaboration and contributions among students and researchers with expertise in deep learning as well as machine learning and artificial intelligence more broadly. The program is intended to promote engagement among researchers in the broader AI community.
Postgraduate Affiliates form an integral part of the Vector community, engaged in both research and community activities. Where interests align, Postgraduate Affiliates can also benefit from interacting with industry sponsors, as well as health and academic partners, through participation in networking events, seminars, training sessions and workshops.
Program applicants are evaluated and selected by the Vector Postgraduate Affiliate Committee according to the strength of their research contributions and the alignment of their interests with Vector’s vision, mission, research strengths and potential for engagement with Vector’s industry sponsors. Vector Postgraduate Affiliates are appointed for a two-year term and are expected to contribute towards Vector events and activities. They are also eligible to receive a number of benefits in recognition of their participation in the program.
As a Vector Postgraduate Affiliate, you are expected to undertake the following responsibilities:
- Participate in Vector activities and events;
- Collaborate with Vector’s industry and health partners; and
- Publicize and promote the Vector Institute by acknowledging affiliation in publications and presentations.
As a Vector Postgraduate Affiliate, you will receive the following:
- Ability to connect regularly with Vector researchers and collaborate freely;
- Participation in Vector activities and events, including all applicable internal talks and presentations;
- Access to the Vector office space and hotelling desks up to two-days per week, on a first-come, first-serve basis;
- Access to Vector computing resources;
- Announcement and listing of affiliation status; and
- Access to exclusive job opportunities through the Vector Talent Hub.
- PhD students and post-doctoral fellows conducting research on novel methods or applications in machine learning.
- The extent to which the candidate’s research will strengthen and support the vision and mission of the Vector Institute in addition to the potential for engagement with the Vector research community and industry sponsors.
- PhD student or Postdoctoral Fellowship affiliation with an institution in Ontario.
In order to maintain status as a Vector Postgraduate Affiliate, you must continue to meet this eligibility criteria through-out the term of your appointment.