December 23, 2020
As of 12:01 a.m. on December 26, 2020, Ontario will enter a province-wide lockdown. For Northern Ontario, this measure will be reviewed after 14 days, and for the rest of the province, after 28 days. The regulations governing the lockdown can be found here: https://files.ontario.ca/moh-provincewide-shutdown-en-2020-12-21-v2.pdf.
As in the previous lockdown, the Ministry has stated that research is considered to be essential and can remain open (see page 20). As a result, research that has been approved in our three phases of Research Restart (https://www.lakeheadu.ca/research-and-innovation/research-faqs-relating-...) can continue subject to the following:
Critical or essential research that was granted Phase 1 or Phase 2 approval may continue during lockdown. Research approved in Phase 3 that does not involve face-to-face human participation may also continue during this period.
Approved Field Research (not involving human participants) in local sites may continue subject to site permissions, location-specific regulations, and public health guidance.
Research and any educational or scholarly activities under the jurisdiction of the Vice-President, Research and Innovation that can be done remotely should continue to be done remotely.
In-person (face-to-face) human participant research and educational or scholarly activities under the jurisdiction of the Vice-President, Research and Innovation remain on pause while we are in lockdown.
Centralized analytical facilities that offer research services may continue to operate according to their approved COVID-19 research plans.
Dr. Andrew P. Dean
Vice-President, Research and Innovation
Previous Messages from the Vice-President, Research and Innovation
- September 3, 2020 - Phase 3 Research Restart - Joint Message from the Vice-President, Research and Innovation and Chair, Research Ethics Board
- June 17, 2020 - Stage 2: Return to Research for On-Campus and Fieldwork Activity
- April 9, 2020 - Phase 1: Update to Domestic Travel and Fieldwork
- March 26, 2020 - Continuity of Essential Research on Campus
- March 26, 2020 - Phase 1: Continuity of Essential Research On-Campus
- March 20, 2020 - Message from the Office of the Vice-President (Research and Innovation)
COVID-19 Research Restart Transition Committee Recommendations
- August 25, 2020 - Phase 3 COVID-19 Research Restart Transition Committee Recommendations
- June 16, 2020 - Phase 2 COVID-19 Research Restart Transition Committee Recommendations