Because of the unique geographical location of the Biorefinery Research Institute (BRI), woody biomass from the Boreal Forest plays a significant part in providing the feedstock for bio-derived chemicals and biofuel research. In addition, there are other factors that identify BRI as a research hub and incubator for novel and transformative Biorefining technologies:
- Strong presence of pulp and paper companies in the region;
- Creation of the Centre for Research and Innovation in the Bioeconomy (CRIBE);
- Active involvement of FPInnovations in Biorefining research through their pilot facilities at Resolute Forest Products in Thunder Bay;
- A large number of Lakehead University faculty with active research and expertise in Biorefining;
- Strong commitment and support by the senior management of Lakehead University.