Please Note that this program is no longer accepting applications.
Please note that the Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner (PHCNP) Certificate Program is no longer offered as a certificate after 2015. If you are interested in becoming a PHCNP, you may apply to the Master of Public Health Nursing Specialization with Nurse Practitioner Electives Program. Please visit our website at http://healthsciences.lakeheadu.ca/master-of-public-health-with-specialization-in-nursing-with-nurse-practitioner-electives. We also plan to offer a Master of Nursing with PHCNP Program for the fall of 2016. Please contact Dr. Karen McQueen for further information at email@example.com regarding the MN with PHCNP.
- Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner
The nurse practitioner program is a unique consortium model involving the ten university schools of nursing in Ontario. It is taught via distance education methods using print-based materials, audio and/or video conferences, computed mediated learning and web sites. Nurses with a BScN will complete the program over 12 months full-time study or up to 36 months part-time study.
Please note that this is not a graduate program. The Faculty of Graduate Studies administers the application and admission procedures for the program. Additional program information is available through the School of Nursing
Applicants for admission must be graduates of a recognized university, college, or institute as well as show evidence of scholarly achievement. Except where otherwise stated in the Admission Requirements of a particular program, degree students must have a four year bachelor's degree or its equivalent with at least second class standing (B) based on their last 20 half courses or equivalent.
An applicant holding a degree other than one in the discipline area to which admission is sought will be considered on the basis of courses taken and academic standing. A Qualifying Year at the undergraduate level may be required to meet the admission standards. Courses taken as part of a Qualifying Year can not be used as credit towards a graduate degree.
Meeting the minimum requirements does not necessarily guarantee admission. No candidate will be admitted unless the academic unit recommends admission. All applicants will be advised by the Office of Graduate Studies in writing of their admission status.
- Evidence of current Registered Nurse Certificate of Registration (College of Nurses of Ontario) or equivalent as approved by the Colleges of Nurses of Ontario
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support certificate
- Minimum of 70% overall average in a BScN or equivalent from a post secondary institution
- Applicants must have the equivalent of 2 years full-time nursing practice within the past 5 years. Preference will be given to Ontario residents whose work experience in nursing has been continuous and who have practical experience in one or more of the following areas: primary health care; ambulatory care; public health; community health; long term care; emergency care or outpost nursing.
Although applications are accepted on a continual basis, to be considered in the initial Admission & Funding decisions for the Fall (September) semester, students are encouraged to apply by FEBRUARY 1.
Please Direct All Documents To:Faculty of Graduate Studies
955 Oliver Road
Thunder Bay, Ontario, P7B 5E1
Documents to Be Submitted
In order for your application package to be considered complete, you must submit one (1) completed copy of each of the following:
- The Application Checklist
- The Graduate Studies Application Form
- Download Graduate Studies Application Form (PDF Format)
- View details about completing the application form
- The Graduate Studies Reference Form(Applicants must submit 3 reference forms)
- Official Transcript
- Proof of Degree
- Official English Test Results (If required)
- View Master's Level English Language Proficiency Requirements (scroll down the linked page)
- View Doctoral Level English Language Proficiency Requirements (scroll down the linked page)
A photocopy of College of Nurses of Ontario certificate of competence annual payment card
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Verification of Employment Hours Form
- Personal Essay