A. Certification Requirement
Note: The following certification requirement MUST BE current/valid according to the requirements outlined in Section D.
- One First Aid Course from Section E
Certification will ensure students have basic first aid skills.
Because of the importance of the safety in various ORPT courses, every student is required to have this certification. Although not required for graduation, students are encouraged to maintain their certification throughout the program.
C. Student Responsibility
It is the responsibility of each student to bring (on or before the due date specified below) an ORIGINAL of the certificate to the School of ORPT Administrative Assistant for photocopy inclusion in their personal file.
Students are responsible to obtain certification of their own accord, expense and on their own time. Certification will not be provided through the course curriculum.
D. Due Dates
All students in an Honours Bachelor of Outdoor Recreation degree program are required to:
Provide a copy of their completed Standard First Aid/CPR certification (or higher), in their first year of the program, at the beginning of the first term to the School of Outdoor Recreation's Administrative Assistant. Students who do not have this completed will not be allowed to remain registered in OUTD 1150 and OUTD 1310.
Students are encouraged to send an electronic copy, or mail/fax a copy of the certification to the ORPT Administrative Assistant no later than September 1st, if unable to do so in person. HOWEVER, a copy of the original certification must be brought in during the first week of classes in September.
School of Outdoor Recreation, Parks and Tourism
955 Oliver Road
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 5E1
Section 1: Approved First Aid Certification
- Canadian Red Cross Society Standard First Aid Certificate
- St. John Ambulance Standard First Aid Certificate
- Canadian Ski Patrol First Aid Certificate
- EMP Canada - Medic First Aid Basic Plus (16 hour course)
- Royal Life Saving Society Aquatic Emergency Care Certificate
- Wilderness First Aid & Safety Association of B.C. First Aid Certificate
- Solo Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician course
- Wilderness First Responder
- American Red Cross First Aid Certificate
- Wilderness Advanced First Aid (WAFA)
Dated: November 1, 1984
Amended: April, 2002; October, 2006; March, 2016; January, 2017