NOTE: All of our online programs will continue to run during the COVID-19 pandemic. Face-to-face components of courses will be facilitated through distance conferencing technology. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Lakehead University’s Department of Professional Development in Education helps you to advance your education and career while developing valuable teaching and leadership skills.
As part of the Faculty of Education, we provide relevant, high-quality professional development courses that cover many education-based topics. Our goal is to provide meaningful, lifelong learning to certified teachers, education students, and the general public.
Interested in Professional Development?
We offer a wide variety of professional development opportunities that meet the needs of teachers and learners at every stage of their career and education. Each professional development opportunity at Lakehead falls into a specific category based on its requirements, awarded qualifications, and subject matter.
The following provides an overview of our professional development opportunities:
- Additional Qualification courses help certified teachers to improve their subject matter knowledge, program development, curriculum leadership, and teaching skills
- Lakehead University awards a full credit equivalent (1.0 FCE) in Education for any completed AQ, ABQ, or HSQ course.
- The pass mark for all Additional Qualification courses is 70%
- For a complete schedule of all our AQ, ABQ, and HSQ courses, see our Additional Qualification Course Schedule
- The Principal’s Qualification Program introduces experienced teachers to the fundamental aspects of leading and managing a school as a principal
- This program is of interest to experienced principals or other school leaders who would like to transition into board leadership
Find and Register for a Course or Program
To find and register for a course or program, please use the following database. For information about a specific course or program, such as how to register, its costs, and prerequisites, click the course title.
To find a specific course by name or topic, please use the Search tool; to narrow your search please indicate the Course Type.
Summer 2022: Please note registration has been extended until June 23, 2022