Travelling to Lakehead University During COVID-19
Anyone aged 18 and older who wishes to travel to Canada must be fully vaccinated. Fully vaccinated means you have had the full series of a vaccine accepted for travel by the Government of Canada and you will be entering Canada at least 15 calendar days after your last dose.
Fully vaccinated travellers are no longer required to complete a quarantine plan through Lakehead University. However, given the evolving nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, the entry requirements and quarantine procedures are subject to change at any time. You are responsible for remaining informed of current travel requirements, restrictions, and/or other influencing factors that may impact your travel planning.
As a traveller to travel to Canada, you must adhere to the pre-entry and ArriveCAN requirements as outlined on the Government of Canada's website.
Effective October 1, 2022, all travellers, regardless of citizenship, will no longer have to:
- submit public health information through the ArriveCAN app or website;
- provide proof of vaccination;
- undergo pre- or on-arrival testing;
- carry out COVID-19-related quarantine or isolation;
- monitor and report if they develop signs or symptoms of COVID-19 upon arriving to Canada.
Transport Canada is also removing existing travel requirements. As of October 1, 2022, travellers will no longer be required to:
- undergo health checks for travel on air and rail; or
- wear masks on planes and trains.
We hope to assist with a stress-free arrival process! In addition to abiding by the Government-mandated requirements mentioned above, before you travel Lakehead University International recommends the following:
- PRINT your Letter of Acceptance from Lakehead University, your Enrolment Verification letter (found on MyInfo) and any other necessary immigration documents.
- Have ArriveCAN downloaded and all your information uploaded
- Make sure you have the full address of your living accommodations in Canada to tell CBSA and your taxi driver.
- Ensure you have packed your universal adapter for western plugins to ensure you can charge your electronic devices to comply with quarantine protocols.
- Have a valid working credit card that is accepted in Canada (Mastercard, Visa).
- During your travels, if you need assistance you can call our Emergency Arrival phone at +1 (807) 631-4123 (Thunder Bay) or +1 (705) 801-9963 (Orillia). We strongly recommend you have this saved on your phone before you leave. You can call, text, or use WhatsApp to contact us.
- If you are a new international student or an international student arriving in Canada for the first time, Lakehead University International can arrange transportation from the airport to your accommodations in Thunder Bay, Orillia, or Barrie. For students arriving for Fall 2022, please email firstname.lastname@example.org (Thunder Bay students) or email@example.com (Orillia & Barrie students)
For additional information on pre-departure planning, please visit our website.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Vaccine Passports Across Canada
Given the changing nature of the pandemic, vaccine passports may or may not be required to access public spaces in various parts of Canada. We encourage anyone who received a COVID-19 vaccination outside of Ontario to have their vaccinations entered into the Ontario system so that you can download and complete the Province of Ontario's COVID-19 enhanced vaccination passport if desired. Only local health units can upload proof of vaccination; pharmacies and doctor’s offices are unable to upload foreign credentials.
Students in Thunder Bay should contact email@example.com to have their vaccine information uploaded.
Students in Orillia or Barrie should fill out the form found here (note this link only works once you are in Ontario).
If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.