Incoming Partner Institutions

Lakehead University has Articulation Agreements for Student Exchanges with a number of institutions around the world. 

Studying at Lakehead University
The Lakehead University sign at the main entrance 

With campuses in both Thunder Bay and Orillia, Lakehead University promises the total university experience: a blend of academic excellence and opportunity with a rich variety of social and recreational activities.  Each year, Lakehead University welcomes exchange students from all over the world – we look forward to welcoming you one day!

Program & Course Offerings
Students working with a drone in class

Please visit our Academic Calendar for a full list of programs offered at Lakehead University.

You can also view a full list of individual course offerings on the Course Timetables.

How to Apply
Students speaking with advisors at a fair

In order to study abroad at Lakehead University, you will be required to submit the following forms:

All inbound exchange students must be nominated to Lakehead University on behalf of their host institutions using the Nomination Form (please contact your home exchange co-ordinator to complete this form).

Along with this nomination, students must submit the following three documents:

  1. The Incoming Exchange Student Application Form.
  2. A copy of your Official Academic Transcripts from your home university.
  3. A Letter of Attestation from your university stating that you are proficient in the English language.

All documents and forms should be sent to the International Student Advisor at

Students looking over their notes

Students coming from exchange partner institutions do not have to pay tuition fees to Lakehead. Expenses associated with accommodation, travel, visas, residence permits, health insurance coverage, ancillary fees and the like are the responsibility of the incoming exchange student.

  • Residence fees vary depending on the choice of residence. (Please note that inbound exchange students typically stay in the Apartment and Townhouse accommodations)
  • Ancillary fees vary depending on a students study duration and program, but are approximately $50.00 per course.
  • The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is required for every exchange student studying at Lakehead University (approximately $50.00 a month)
A photo of the apartment style residence at the Thunder Bay campus

Living in one of our on-campus Residence Units offers a student an excellent chance to make many new Canadian friends and there is no transportation required to get to campus!  We highly recommend that all new exchange students live in Residence.

It is important to understand that you are not automatically placed in Lakehead University Residence. You must complete and submit an application for Residence. All students will be sent Residence application instructions in the "Welcome Package" which will be sent shortly after receiving their official Acceptance Letter.

All exchange students are guaranteed Residence accommodations provided they meet the application deadline.  Pay close attention to the application deadline date, which will be outlined in your Welcome Package.  

Questions regarding Residence can be directed to Residence Admissions/Accounts at:

Tel: (807) 343-8060 or (807) 343-8097

Fax: (807) 343-8521


Find out more about Lakehead housing options

Health Insurance
Students in the international Student Centre

Every Exchange Student will be automatically enrolled in the Guard.Me health insurance plan. There is a fee for this insurance plan and the charge for Guard.Me insurance will be placed on your student account. Students will receive their insurance card via email once the term has begun. Exchange students may enrol in Guard.Me for one or two terms depending on how long they will be studying at Lakehead.

Please note that even if you are insured in your own country, you still must purchase Guard.Me.  Do not purchase extra coverage in your own country unless you plan to travel outside Canada as Guard.Me does not cover you outside Canada.  The Guard.Me website gives more information about the policy.

If you have any further questions or concerns regarding UHIP please contact an International Student Advisor.

Visa & Immigration Documents
Studnets speaking with an advisor at a fair

In order to determine which immigration documents are necessary to study abroad in Canada, please consult the IRCC Website for detailed information. 

If you have any questions regarding this, please contact our International Immigration Officer at

Preparing for your Arrival

Students in the International Student Centre

Follow the steps outlined in our Before You Arrive Guide to get prepared for your travel to Canada and your life as student at Lakehead University. We look forward to meeting you in person!