Effective 03:01 am EST on November 30, 2021, fully vaccinated means you have had the full series of a Health Canada approved vaccination or the full series of vaccination on the WHO Emergency Use Listing and you will be entering Canada at least 14 full days after your last dose.
Fully vaccinated travellers who are permitted to enter Canada are no longer subject to the federal quarantine requirement, nor are they required to take a COVID-19 test on Day 8. Therefore, fully vaccinated travellers are NOT required to complete a quarantine plan through Lakehead University.
Please note there are travel requirements and procedures you still must follow, regardless of your vaccination status. You can find more information here.
**In the coming days, all fully vaccinated travellers arriving by air from departure points other than the United States will be subject to arrival testing. Fully vaccinated travellers will be required to quarantine while they await the results of their arrival test.
- Have a negative pre-entry test completed within 72 hours of departure (note this must be a molecular test; rapid antigen tests are not acceptable).
- Have a backup quarantine plan in case you don't qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller.
- Upload proof of your vaccination (in English or French, or a certified translation) using the ArriveCAN.
- Bring original proof of your vaccination with you (digital or paper)
- Be asymptomatic
Please carefully review and follow the information listed on this website. Check it frequently for the most up-to-date information as your travel date approaches. Please note that travellers, regardless of vaccination status, may be randomly selected for a COVID-19 arrival test (at no cost to you) upon arrival to Canada. Please see here for the Government announcement regarding changes to allow WHO EUL vaccines to be considered fully vaccinated.
Please also note that it is your responsibility to ensure you have information on your backup quarantine plan should CBSA deem that it is required. You should have appropriate quarantine accommodation available to you in case you need it. See below for options in Thunder Bay and Orillia.
There is NO availability in the on-campus residences for backup quarantine plans.
There are a few hotels in Thunder Bay that provide quarantine options, as well as student discounts. We do not endorse these hotels in any way; it is your responsibility to ensure they meet your individual needs.
Please be aware of their cancellation policies and whether or not your flight arrival time will result in a cancellation charge (i.e., does your flight arrive after the cancellation cut-off time?). You may either make a reservation (again, note the cancellation policies) or simply inquire whether they have available on your arrival date and be prepared to go there if needed.
Prince Arthur Hotel
Lakehead University's on-campus residence is able to serve as a backup quarantine option. This is the easiest option. Please email them to make arrangements. Provide them with your arrival date and let them know you are looking for a backup quarantine option.
Please cancel your reservation as soon as you are through Immigration and Customs and you do not need to quarantine. Failure to cancel your reservation if quarantine is not needed may result in a cancellation fee.
Comfort Inn (75 Progress Drive, Orillia)
**Please contact the hotel directly to book at 1(705)327-7744 and indicate you are a Lakehead University student. You will be required to use a credit card to hold your booking. Please note the cancellation policy you are given.
We hope to assist with a stress-free arrival process! In addition to abiding by the Government-mandated requirements mentioned above, before you travel Lakehead University International recommends the following:
- PRINT your Letter of Acceptance from Lakehead University, your Enrolment Verification letter (found on MyInfo) and any other necessary immigration documents.
- Make sure you have the full address of your living accommodations in Canada to tell CBSA and your taxi driver.
- Ensure you have packed your universal adapter for western plugins to ensure you can charge your electronic devices to comply with quarantine protocols.
- Have a valid working credit card that is accepted in Canada (Mastercard, Visa).
- During your travels, if you need assistance you can call our Emergency Arrival phone at 1(807)631-4123 (Thunder Bay) or 1(705)801-9963 (Orillia). We strongly recommend you have this saved on your phone before you leave. You can call, text or use Whatsapp to contact us.
- If you are a new international student or an international student arriving in Canada for the first time, Lakehead University International can arrange transportation from the airport to your accommodations in Thunder Bay or Orillia. Please complete the following form at least 4 business days before your departure.
- In Thunder Bay: PRINT your taxi voucher to present to the taxi driver at the airport. They will not accept electronic copies and if you do not have this printed you will have to pay at your own expense.
For additional information on pre-departure planning, please visit https://www.lakeheadu.ca/international/applying/enrolling
Questions? Contact email@example.com
You must ensure you have completed the Lakehead vaccine passport and the Ontario vaccine passport. Lakehead-Georgian students must also complete the Georgian vaccine passport. Although this might seem confusing, we have several levels of government (federal, provincial, and local, plus Lakehead University requirements) so there are several different policies that we all must comply with. Thank you for your cooperation.
Lakehead University Vaccine Passport
Please download the Lakehead MobileSafety app (if you haven't already) and upload proof of your COVID-19 vaccination. Once your vaccination proof has been accepted, you will receive a green QR code indicating that you may access campus. You may be required to show this code at any point while on campus. You are only required to complete the vaccination passport process once.
You must also complete the daily self-screening before coming to campus. Only individuals who have a green QR code, or who have an approved exemption and are complying with their rapid testing protocol may access campus. You must complete the daily screening every 24 hours in order to access campus.
Lakehead-Georgian students must also complete the Georgian vaccine passport on the SAFE@Georgian app and comply with daily screening requirements.
Ontario Vaccine Passport
Anyone who received a COVID-19 vaccination outside of Ontario must have their vaccinations uploaded into the Ontario system so that you can download and complete the Province of Ontario's COVID-19 vaccination passport. Only local health units can upload vaccinations; pharmacies and doctor’s offices are unable to upload foreign credentials. You can find more information about Ontario's requirements here.
Students in Thunder Bay should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to have their vaccine information uploaded.
Students in Orillia or Barrie should fill out the form found here. (note this link only works once you are in Ontario).
If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.