International Student Arrival Information

Follow the steps outlined here to get prepared for your travel to Canada and your life as a Lakehead University student. We look forward to meeting you on campus! 

Accept your Offer of Admission

Students at orientation

As soon as you've decided on Lakehead University as your study destination, you will need to accept your Offer of Admission and stay connected to us as your arrival approaches because we'll be sending you important information in the coming weeks and months. Here are three "must do" things for future Lakehead University students:  

  1. Accept your Offer of Admission: If you have been accepted to an undergraduate program, you may do this online. If you have been accepted to a graduate program, please complete the Admission Response Document we emailed to you and send it back to us by email. You will also need to pay your confirmation deposit to secure your spot at Lakehead. Follow the instructions in your Offer of Admission to do this.
  2. Initialize your myEmail account and be sure to check it regularly for Lakehead University emails about your next steps.
  3. Get familiar with myInfo, your online portal for course registration, fee payments, and much more.

How do I log into myEmail or myInfo?

Apply for Visa & Immigration Documents

In order to study at Lakehead, you will require a Study Permit. To enter Canada, you may also require a Temporary Residence Visa.

Note: It is an offence under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act to not comply with the conditions that were imposed when your entry into Canada was authorized, or when your study permit was issued.

To help get you started, below is information on documents you need to apply for during your stay in Canada. You may also find this EduCanada Pre-Departure Guide helpful.

Study Permit

A sample of a Canadian Study permit

You should apply for your study permit as soon as you receive your Offer of Admission from Lakehead University. The time required to process an application to study in Canada may vary at different visa offices.

You must have a valid study permit for the entire duration of your studies. You may be issued a study permit that is not valid for the entire duration of your studies. If this occurs, you can extend your study permit within Canada.

Requirements for a Study Permit:

  • A valid passport; Be sure to renew your passport well before it expires, as visas cannot be issued beyond the expiry date of the passport

  • Application fee (Billed in $CND)

  • Offer of Admission to Lakehead University.

  • Evidence of sufficient funds. You must demonstrate (with a bank statement, savings account passbook, bank draft or other proof) sufficient funds to cover tuition and related living costs during your period of study for you and any accompanying family members.

  • A medical exam may be required depending on the country that you are from.

  • Biometrics may also be required depending on the country that you are from. A request will be sent to you if required.


When applying for a study permit there are some variations depending on your country of citizenship.

If you are an international student who is not a citizen of the United States, you should write or visit your nearest Canadian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission before submitting your application to find out what the Study Permit requirements are for your country.  

Apply for your study permit

Extend Your Study Permit

If your Study Permit expires while you are still studying at Lakehead, you must apply to extend your Study Permit. To extend your Study Permit, follow the same instructions in the "Applying" section above.

Temporary Residence Visa (TRV)

A TRV, commonly known as a Visa, allows you to enter into Canada.

Note: Not all students require a TRV.

Find out if you require a TRV

A TRV can be a single entry or multiple entry. All Visa applicants are automatically considered for a multiple entry Visa when you apply. Usually, a multiple entry visa will be issued for the same duration as your Study Permit.

If you do not require a Visa to enter Canada, you may be required to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization.

Find out if you require an Electronic Travel Authorization


To apply for a TRV you must:

  • Possess a valid passport, be sure to renew your passport well before it expires, as visas cannot be issued beyond the expiry date of the passport

  • Pay the specified Application fee (Billed in $CND)

  • Show your Offer of Admission from Lakehead University

  • Possess Evidence of sufficient funds. You must demonstrate (with a bank statement, savings account passbook, bank draft or other proof) sufficient funds to cover tuition and related living costs during your period of study for you and any accompanying family members

  • A medical exam may be required depending on the country that you are from

Apply for a Temporary Residence Visa(if required).

Note: The application process can take up to three months.

Extending Your Stay

It is important that you know that extending your Study Permit will not extend your Temporary Resident Visa(TRV.)

If your TRV expires while you are outside of Canada, you must re-apply for a new TRV. To apply for a new TRV while you are outside of Canada, please visit the closest embassy or consulate in your home country.

If you are currently a temporary resident in Canada with a valid status (i.e. study or work permit), you can apply for a new visitor visa to stay in Canada.

Pay Fees

hand holding a pen punching numbers into a calculator

You can find your student account information (including tuition, ancillary and residence fees) on your myInfo portal. You will also need to register and pay for the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP).

Learn more about fees and how to pay them
Take note of fee payment deadline dates

Register for Classes

books on a desk

Course registration for the year usually opens in June. You will choose your courses online through the myInfo portal. When course registration opens, you will receive an email to your Lakehead University email account notifying you and providing you with instructions. If you have any questions as you register, our Enrolment Services staff is available to help you.

Learn more about Registering for Classes 

Arrange Housing & Meal Plans

Apartment style residence building on the Thunder Bay campus


There are many different housing options for international students at Lakehead:

  • On-campus residence
  • Off-campus housing
  • Temporary Housing
  • Home Stay Program

Each housing option offers you a different and unique experience. Find out more about Lakehead housing options.

Once you've arranged housing, please notify the International Office with your plans by completing the Pre-Arrival Housing Form.

Meal Plans

If you live in our on-campus dormitories, you will automatically be signed up for a meal plan. If you live in our on-campus apartments or townhouses, you may choose to purchase a meal plan. 

Learn more about meal plans at the Thunder Bay campus

Learn more about meal plans at the Orillia campus

Register for Orientation

Students cheering at orientation

Orientation is your introduction to the Lakehead University campus and the community of Thunder Bay or Orillia.  It is an essential element for new international students and it is required that you make every possible arrangement to attend. It is not only an opportunity to find out important information and learn what your new University has to offer, but it is also a chance to meet your peers and have some fun.

Orientation Dates

Thunder Bay Campus Winter Orientation 2022:

Date: TBD
Location: TBD
Time: TBD

Orillia Campus Winter Orientation 2022: 

Date: TBD
Location: TBD
Time: TBD

Barrie Campus Winter Orientation 2022:

Date: TBD
Time: TBD
Location: TBD

Booking Your Travel to Canada

A plane landing

When booking your travel to Lakehead, ensure that you arrive in time to attend Orientation. This is an important step in your transition to university. At orientation you will not only receive critical information, you will also get to know students in your program and other programs who are from Canada and around the world.

Thunder Bay Campus

You should book your flight from your home country directly to Thunder Bay (YQT).  There are no direct international flights to Thunder Bay, so you will have a connecting flight through a different city. Most likely your port of entry will be Vancouver (YVR), Toronto (YYZ) or Montreal (YUL). 

Important: Please allow at least 4 hours between your time of arrival at the Port of Entry and the time of departure of your connecting flight to Thunder Bay. It may take up to 3 hours for you to clear the Canada Customs and get your study permit.

Orillia Campus

When travelling to the Orillia campus, your port of entry will most likely be the Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ).  The Orillia campus is approximately a 1-hour-and-30-minute drive from the Pearson International Airport.

When to Arrive 

*Due to COVID-19, travel restrictions may affect your travel to Canada. Please consult one of our International Recruitment Advisors prior to booking travel.

Confirm Your Airport Arrival

A studnet arriving at the Thunder Bay Airport and being greeted by Lakehead staff and students with wolfie

Due to the current pandemic, we cannot provide in person airport pick up service at this time. Lakehead International can provide you with a one time use free taxi voucher that will take you from the airport to your chosen accommodation.

How to Book an Airport Pick-Up: Once you've submitted Lakehead University International's Arrival Form, our dedicated International Student Services team will provide you with with further arrival instructions, contact information, follow up appointment instructions for the following day and your taxi voucher. The airport pickup service can take you to campus residence OR off-campus accommodations within your campus city (Thunder Bay or Orillia). Please reference your welcome package email for important information on Government of Canada quarantine policies and LU COVID-19 Quarantine forms.

NOTE: The LU COVID-19 Quarantine forms must be completed and submitted to Lakehead International two weeks prior to your arrival.

Thunder Bay Airport Pick-Up Form
Orillia Airport Pick-Up Form

Please contact us with any further questions:

Thunder Bay Campus
Phone: +1 807-343-8010 ext. 7886

Orillia Campus
Phone: +1 705-330-4008 (Ext. 2141)

Sign Up for a Peer Mentor

What is a Peer Mentor?

Peer mentor with students on a hike

Lakehead International’s Peer Mentor program pairs up experienced Lakehead students with a small group of new international students to help them:

  • Transition to university 
  • Adjust to the Lakehead University campus, the Thunder Bay or Orillia community, and Canadian culture
  • Access and get to know on-campus or off-campus resources

The Peer Mentor program organizes activities for all participants. It is a great way to meet new students and explore your new home.

Sign up to be paired with a Peer Mentor: 





Registration for students who would like to become a Peer Mentor (Current Lakehead students only)

Pre-Departure Planning

A group of students smiling at the camera

Required documents upon arrival in Canada:

Carry the following documents and all other valuable items with you at all times rather than in your checked baggage. Entrance into Canada may be denied if any of your documents are missing or if any of the information on your application or letter of reference is incorrect. 

  • The letter of introduction from Citizenship and Immigration Canada that you received when your Study Permit was approved. This letter shows your permit reference number

  • Your valid passport; A valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) if required

  • Your Offer of Admission from Lakehead University

  • Evidence of financial support. Upon arrival in Canada, you must have proof that you have enough money available to you to pay for your tuition, accommodation and living expenses for the duration of your studies at Lakehead University

  • Letters of reference or any other documents recommended by the Canadian embassy, high commission, or consulate in your country.

*While US residents may apply for a Study Permit by mailing the application to one of Canada's Consulate General Offices in Buffalo, Detroit, Los Angeles, New York, Seattle or Washington, DC, U.S. residents may apply for a Study Permit at a Canadian Port of Entry upon arrival in Canada.

Application forms and up to date information concerning Study Permits

Once you have entered Canada:

  • Check your Study Permit to make sure all the information is correct

  • Check the date that is stamped in your passport telling you when you must leave Canada

A Few Tips on What to Pack:

We want you to be prepared and feel at home while studying at Lakehead University. Here are some suggestions about what to pack:

  • Pictures from home
  • Prescription medication
  • Electrical converter
  • All required documentation for entry into and study in Canada
  • Please ensure you travel with some Canadian funds until you are able to set up a Canadian bank account.  There is a money exchange in the Toronto airport but there is NO money exchange in the Thunder Bay airport.

The following items are available to purchase once you arrive in Canada; however, some students choose to bring them from home:

  • Bedding: Bedsheets, Pillows, Blankets (Beds in the Thunder Bay residences are twin beds - 97 cm × 191 cm. In the Orillia residences, we have double beds - 137 cm × 191 cm.) 
  • Towels
  • Bathrobe
  • Slippers
  • Hairdryer
  • Warm clothing
  • Clothing Hangers
  • Computer
  • Alarm clock
  • Power bar

What Not to Bring:

  • Candles
  • Incense 
  • Pets
  • Expensive valuables
  • Illegal drugs
  • Weapons
Learn About Your New Hometowns

Students at the top of Mink Mountain looking at the view of Lake Superior

Lakehead University offers you two beautiful campus locations to choose from:
Thunder Bay in Northwestern Ontario and Orillia in Central Ontario.  

Learn more about your new hometowns

Contact Us

Students in the International Student Centre

For general inquiries, please contact:

For student advising, please contact:

Travelling to Lakehead during COVID-19

Please visit this page for more information.